Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all....First post here on Gunboards.....For 20 years I've collected mainly USGI items, but I just bought my first Arisaka and I could use some advice..

First, the rifle is a 20th series Kokura short type 99.....so far so good...The rifle has a low 4-digit number and the bolt handle & knurled safety's last 3 digits match the rifle's serial # on the left side of receiver. Firing pin striker tube has no markings, but finish matches perfectly..

My question is this,..... under the woodline, on the left side, about 2 inches from the serial # is what looks like a Japanese character followed by a 3 digit assembly number. This number is stamped on the receiver, the extractor, the triggerguard, buttstock barrel channel, in channel of top handguard, bolt stop & BS spring assembly....There might be more places, but the rifles not in front of me now...At a quick glance, the monopod band/block is not numbered, nor is the front nose cap, barrel or both F & R sights...

Only markings on the barrel (did not remove rear sight or collar)..are about half way between muzzle & breech, the letters "B" & "T"......but the bore is shiny and looks great..

Rifle came to me minus the monopod, AA sight wings & dust cover....and the Mum is lightly x'ed out and not ground or filed at all....

But it did have attached a Kokura bayonet & scabbard in great shape....I gave $250.00 for whole package, and I plan on shooting it ASAP....

I'm assuming this is an early Kokura, and I'm curious about the secondary assembly number under the wood....and the "B" & "T" on underside of barrel...Upon closer inspection, the barrel's bluing is inside the letters B & T, so it looks like it was finished after these were struck...I confess I have no referrence material on Arisakas, but I soon will....

It looks like it has been together forever ...It was caked with hard grease & old dust...Wood was unfooled with has original finish and rifle's bluing is a strong 90%....I'll try and get some close up pics of the whole shebang ASAP...

Thanks for any help regarding the original serialization of parts on these early 20th series rifles, and sorry for the long post...

regards...

ds1911

·
Registered
244 Posts
Interesting that you noticed that your 20th. series has the assembly number. Always heard some of these had the assembly number, never knew it was so close to serial number or how many are that way. Actually, in all the years I've been looking at this board, never have really seen a photo of one with the assembly number. Seems to me that the 20th. series is the least reported series, that is, it has the least number of data sheets reported. Interesting series, please show some photos, it you can.

Military Rifles of Japan says under comments:

"Early production rifles were matched using both the last 3 digits of the serial number (Bolt, firing pin, safety) and a sperate 1-3 digit assembly number located underneath the receiver(balance of major parts including the extractor). Highest serial number reported is 20th. series 82160."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK....thanks Richard........

This assembly number system seems to be the case with this rifle...I will get some close up pics here ASAP....The rifle is an early 20th series, with a receiver serial number in the 8,000 range.......Am I correct in assuming it's a 1939-built rifle?

Thanks for starting to unwravel this mystery for me...Stay tuned for the pics....

ds1911

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
The T99 design was accepted in July, 1939; final approval was not received until Nov., 1940. No doubt some trial production took place in this timeframe.

Only 200k T99s were produced in Japanese fiscal year 1941, with none reported in 1940.

I would guess that 20th series number 8,000 range probably dates to the second calendar quarter of 1941.

(ref. The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, p10,13,15.)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
Congatulations on your aquisition. The vast majority of the 20th series were "assembly numbered" such as yours, up to 80k maybe higher. Like you noticed, the bolt and safety were the only parts numbered to the rifle's serial. All others match the assembly with the exceptions being the unnumbered firing pin and front band. Kokura type 38s are also done this way. The number can usually be checked with out disassembly by pulling out on the bolt release and looking at the underside, the number is stamped there. The only other "assembly numbered" series of type 99 is the toyo kogyo 30th series which differs in that the receiver is the only part with the serial number, all others have the assembly number. The only way to check these externally is to look at the rea face of the bayonet lug. These last into the 20-30k range I believe. As far as the B and T go they are proofs of sorts possibly for barrel pressure test, but I don't think there has been anything to really verify their meaning.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...Here's some close up pics....

First, thanks for all this help...I really appreciate it and its a great forum....I don't want to tie up this thread with 17 giant pics, so here's a link to them...I made a mistake...The rifle is much earlier than I thought...Serial is a 4-digit #348X. Included in the pics are the underside of receiver where the assembly # is, as well as the bayonet it came with...Please click on them and tell me what you think....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v168/218bee/arisaka pic/

Regards

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cavalry swivel....I don't know.....

Cartoonist....I'm real green when it comes to these rifles, as this is my first in about 20 years of collecting...The stock swivel looks like a standard two-screw deal, similar to an 03 Sprinfield, only mounted on the flat side of the stock....Is this a Cavalry swivel?

Thanks

ds1911

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.