Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this project for a few weeks. The "Eagle of Saladin" crested receiver, is one of the 1,500 FN-49 receivers made by FN and provided to Egypt as bare receivers. These receivers were never used by the Egyptians. Century Arms bought these receivers from Egypt and later used various Belgian and Egyptian parts to assemble these Eagle crested receivers into rifles. The Arabic writing under the eagle translates into "Egyptian Army".

I received the rifle in a typical Century blond hardwood stock with a dirty brown stain. On the bright side the stock had the original brass butt plate which I may in the future place on this rifle. The barrel is in great shape and has the "89" code stamped over the chamber indicating it is an FN produced replacement barrel.

The stock, hand guard, butt plate and collar-type muzzle cap for this project are of Belgian origin. I used a semi-gloss paint similar to the original Belgian paint to re-finish the receiver cover, magazine, butt plate and trigger guard assembly.

I was in luck and did not have to remove the stock cross bolt and patch the holes in the Belgian stock, as these later produced Eagle crested receivers are cut for the stock cross bolt. If I can find a proper Egyptian style End-cap type muzzle cover I will replace the collar-type muzzle cover.

I don't look upon this project as a desecration as the rifle had already been altered by Century Arms. I have not yet had a chance to shoot this rifle, but I'm confident it will be a good shooter.

Your comments are welcome.

Regards JIMMY C

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's rather cool. I have never seen one of these. If I had run across it at a gunshow I would have guessed as Syrian beacause of the eagle (and would have bought it if cheap enough). Never would have guessed an Egyptian/Century Arms parts gun. Thanks for the pix.
D.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Jimmy,
I did the same to my Century Egyptian. I hated that ugly Century stock with the cheesy plastic buttplate. But hey, I got it for $315 so in retrospect it was an outstanding deal. Where else could you get an unfired FN49 for that price? Bought my Belgian stock from Northridge when they were available with metal for $100. Later I bought a second set from them when they were on sale, less metal, for $75. That wood went onto a Vennie that I bought for $350 as is from a Boards member. I was warned that it had a "sticky FP". Well, it had suffered an out of battery discharge that cracked the stock (the Venezuelains had replaced the original FN stock from one built from indigenous wood at some point in time) and did minor damage to the receiver. Hell, I found what was left of the brass still stuck in the chamber! I repaired/replaced everything and it's a fantastic shooter. I wanted to shoot it guilt free and save the "original" stock from any further potential damage so I milled a slot in the cross bolt and installed the aforementioned second Belgian set.
You gotta love the figure on the Belgian wood. My Egyptian has pretty tiger striping. I'm using the original Century stock for a canoe paddle...

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the proper end cap muzzle cover!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts