Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m going to check out a Luger (P08?) that’s been stashed in a closet for 30+ years and would like to know what to look for on this pistol. I’ve looked up some info on the interwebs and believe this is a commercial Luger from 1900-1922. Other than the fancy DWM on the top slide and a 4 digit SN on the front side of the trigger guard/frame under the barrel...there are no other markings I noticed.

I don’t know much about Lugers so I’m curious as to what should I look at when I get this gun in my hands? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It does look like a commercial that's a little rough around the edges. Check to see if it's 9mm or 30 Luger and if all the visible serial numbers match. A commercial model will have SNs on the bottom of the take down lever, trigger, underside of the side plate, barrel and receiver and back of the rear toggle link. Maybe even magazine if you are lucky. Other than that, verify function and if it's priced right, go for it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
A picture of the complete topside, left, right and bottom would help. There are some differences in numbering and markings for the commercial guns and contract stuff. The serial on the front of the frame might have a letter after up to 4 numbers or it may not. The number may be 5 digits too if commercial. There should be a matching number on the bottom of the barrel and then the last two digits on most other parts. More pics would help along with the caliber. Not all of the lugers are 9mm, there are a lot of 30 cal or 7.65 pistols especially for guns done in the 20's.

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.