Gunboards Forums banner

duv 42 (pics)

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gewehr455 
#1 ·
This is the dufflecut repair rifle. Thanks to 'Farb.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The only stain used was on the filler / sawdust mixed with Devcon at the top layer of the filled gap.

Sn, that question was alot like "did you beat your wife today?" ;) I've never seen that a properly repaired dufflecut had any effect on the value at all. In fact, I would think most would place a little premium on a properly and conservatively repaired cut. I also clean the bores caused by GIs shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning, remove the dirt dauber nests and cocoons from bores, and eliminate active rust. I thought briefly about not repairing the cut. However, to have a front piece flopping all about, sliding forward, pulling out when you pick it up, etc., was not appealing. It's a dufflecut rifle that now looks factory original, that I can shoot if I want, that is probably about as strong as it was when it left the factory. If someone wanted to "restore" it back to it's duffle cut status they could do that easy enough with a saw in under 15 seconds I reckon, and disassemble it and put it in a wood box in pieces to replicate exactly what it looked like when mailed home. ;)

#7 ·
more pics please

Hi Hambone,
I am restoring a DUV 42 sporter and I have questions about the bolt and other metal pieces. My bolt matches to the reciever but it only has the serial number on the bolt body and firing pin. The rest is unmarked. The floor plate and trigger gaurd assembly has the SN on the trigger assembly and the floor plate is blank. No WaA marks on any of the trigger and floor plate assembly. The follower is blank with no markings. The barrell bands have SN but no waffens. The SN fonts match perfectly on all parts. Is this normal for a DUV 42 gun? I am also looking for a barrell for this gun. Can you take detail pictures of the barrell so I have an idea of what to look for while searching for a barrell?
Thanks
Fred

P.S. you have a really nice looking gun!!!

#8 ·
Hello Fred,
The barrel band markings for maker and lot are, I believe, indexed under the woodline. If you can find a GeCo or other replacement barrel that would be best, or anything '40-42 dated and WaA214. Some of these were finished by Gustloff, thus if your rifle is later '42 and bears a WaA 749, then a Gustloff barrel would work. However, the barrel would be serialed to the rifle.

One clarification to Sn's inquiry: Sn, a dufflecut does, IMHO, detract a little from value, though not much, and to more than a few, not at all. I don't think properly repairing a dufflecut vs. leaving it alone makes much difference, or if anything, "helps". I base this on nothing else being done to the wood, i.e. refinishing, etc.
regards,
HB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.