Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have anyone here who specializes in the collection of, or has extensive knowledge about, Dutch rifles, specifically the 1871 Beaumont model? If so, I have several questions to pose. Thanks!

C/

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know if anyone has the kind of specialized and detailed knowedge about the Beaumonts like some do about Arisakas and K98k's, but you can ask and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll just pose my question and see how things go.

I'm a regular over on the Japanese Forum and have collected Japanese weaponry since the late 70s. It's well-known that the Japanese T-13 Murata is basically a derivative of the French Gras and Beaumont designs. A couple of weeks ago, I was examining some Japanese military records from the 1880s and found one from the Army Artillery Bureau referring to the loan of a Dutch Beaumont rifle to a Lt. Murata. My question is whether anyone here has ever seen, or knows of, a Japanese-marked Beaumont rifle.

Thanks!

C/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I have a few Beaumonts, including 71's and I do correspond on them with the museum in Delft. What would you like to know. I don't load for them.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not an expert, but I have a few Beaumonts, including 71's and I do correspond on them with the museum in Delft. What would you like to know. I don't load for them.
fausto4,

I'm not a shooter either, just a collector/researcher. All I want to know is whether anyone has seen or owned a Japanese-marked Beaumont rifle, or a Beaumont rifle with what appear to be oriental markings.

As I said in my earlier post, I have some old (late 1800s) Japanese documentation concerning development of the Murata rifle and, at one point, mention is made of the loan of a Beaumont rifle to a Japanese Lt. Murata. Since you may have a friend at the museum he/she may have some information in this regard.

C/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never seen what you are looking for, but then I was not previously aware of commercial beaumonts or French made Beaumonts sold to Chile. I am certainly finding out the history and distribution of them was much richer than just the Dutch military, making them a more interesting item for collection.

My Delft Museum Contact is Mathieu Willemsen [email protected]. He has been very helpful to me on Beaumonts. www.militaryrifles.com has some information on Muratas and Beaumonts, but probably not at the level of detail you are looking for.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Delft Museum Contact is Mathieu Willemsen [email protected]. He has been very helpful to me on Beaumonts. www.militaryrifles.com has some information on Muratas and Beaumonts, but probably not at the level of detail you are looking for.
fausto4,

Thanks for the email link for the museum. I may drop him a line and make inquiry. I've known Keith D. (militaryrifles.com site) for many years. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

C/

·
Registered
1 Posts
11mm Beaumont (dutch)

I have a 11.3x50mm Rimmed Beaumont M71 Does anyone know of anywhere I can find ammo for this riffle??????

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Dutch Beaumont M1871 first pattern bayonet and am considering tying to track down a Beaumont to go with it.
I have a couple of questions:
My bayonet is marked with the serial number F 590. Can the year of manufacture be determined by the prefix letter?
Also, what were the range markings on the rear sight (yards, meters...)?
Thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
Seinen

The bolts on the 2 are very similar. In fat I have used a dutch striker spring to supplement the one in my Type 13. So no surprise that there was some technology sharing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@sweidman
If you check the reply on your other posting referring to the range markings, you have at least one answer to your questions. I tried to do you a favor by answering it, so please do not ask the same question in two different threads ... sorry ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts