Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a dutch naval rifle today at the NGD show. Very good shape but mismatched so I passed on it. It had a naval cartouch on the stock.
dg13

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like quite a find. How mismatched was it? Anything else interesting at the show?

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Nice find. That's a rare rifle to pass up! But then again, the Netherlands managed to stay out of WW I. The Royal Navy rifles were the first of the long 95's to be made at Steyr in 1896, and as I recall, all but 2500 or so had been lost or converted to carbines by 1940. I have two (most collectors don't know how to recognise them!) and saw a third one just last week. Of these 3, none had a decent stock roundel. What did the naval cartouche look like?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
950 Posts
John,
Any chance you can post pictures of your Naval M1895's? They would be very interesting to see!
Thanks,
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rondel had an anchor in the middle of it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As fae as missmatch the bolt did not match. I don't think the stock matched either. $200 but I still passed.
dg13

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi John,
Sure, in fact I may have some in the files. I'll see what I can find. In any case, they look exactly like any M1895 long rifle except that:
a) they are marked "Steyr 1896" on the side rail, and
b) their serial numbers on the receiver ring lacks a suffix letter.

The lack of the letter is the single most important means of identifying a Dutch Royal Marines (the main user) M.95.

One more thing I should mention since there are two main designs of the Dutch M.95. The Royal Navy M95's have 100% of the features of the Dutch Army 95's, so they are visibly distinct from the KNIL (Colonial Army) 95's.
Regards,
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts