Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago I purchased this Dutch M95 full length uncut rifle that appears to have been converted to 303. The only marking on it signifying a conversion is 7.7 stamped on the top of the buttplate. It will chamber a 303 round. I found one short thread here from about 3 years ago describing the same type of conversion rifle (sorry if this wording is incorrect not sure what else to call it) with 7.7 stamped on the buttplate. It is marked Steyr 1905.
My rifle has the same scrubbed area where the serial number would be and the bolt matches itself. It appears it was rebarrelled with a 1910 dated barrel. I did take it apart and tried to take some legible pics. I'm thinking its still an Indonesian conversion with the scrubbed receiver. Only other info I can think of right now is the barrel rifling is 5 groove and is mirror bright.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Bought a Dutch carbine that was also converted from the original 6.5 caliber to 303 British. Also stamped 7.7 on the receiver. But the 303 British reamer they used did not quite clean up the original chamber, so fired 303 cases come out a little funny looking. Sort of a double shouldered chamber. Guy at the range saw it and asked if it was for sale. Got what I had in it. Said he had a P-14 barrel in mint condition that he was going to install. And make a proper 303 carbine. Frank

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Would need some convincing - the Indonesian marks usually found are well struck and to a fair amount of metal would have to be scrubbed off. Also the 7.7 is normally on the receiver above the chamber. But whatever, it's nice one to have.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Bought a Dutch carbine that was also converted from the original 6.5 caliber to 303 British. Also stamped 7.7 on the receiver. But the 303 British reamer they used did not quite clean up the original chamber, so fired 303 cases come out a little funny looking. Sort of a double shouldered chamber. Guy at the range saw it and asked if it was for sale. Got what I had in it. Said he had a P-14 barrel in mint condition that he was going to install. And make a proper 303 carbine. Frank
Anther way to go would have been to reload and neck size only. Or ignore the spent brass. I know this one is sold, but; for other readers. Brass deformed in this way is no big deal with factory ammo or for reloads.

·
Administrator
9,372 Posts
Just noticed on one of the photos...the original 6,5 serial numbers are 180° ( extra half turn) underneath. Means barrel cutback slightly at breech to headspace properly. And outer shoulder also skimmed.
So the double shoulder may not be present.
in chamber???
DocAV

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just noticed on one of the photos...the original 6,5 serial numbers are 180° ( extra half turn) underneath. Means barrel cutback slightly at breech to headspace properly. And outer shoulder also skimmed.
So the double shoulder may not be present.
in chamber???
DocAV
I haven't fired this rifle yet so not sure how the brass will look afterwards. I'm going to try this week if I have time. Interesting about the barrel being cut back and turned. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Bayonet lug has been modified. Try a Japanese bayonet and see if it fits. I'm not thinking that the Japanese modified the rifle. The Indonesians modified many of these to take a Japanese bayonet of which they had plenty of after the war.
Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bayonet lug has been modified. Try a Japanese bayonet and see if it fits. I'm not thinking that the Japanese modified the rifle. The Indonesians modified many of these to take a Japanese bayonet of which they had plenty of after the war.
Dan
Unfortunately I don't have a Japanese bayonet to try at this moment. I did notice the front band/bayonet lug has what appeared to be a cleaning rod chamber that was partially filled in. I'm guessing that might be part of the suspected modification.
I'll try to take a better picture of the front band/bayonet lug this week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally had some time to take a few pics of the front band. Also took it to the range where it worked well. Very accurate and no issues with feeding with 303 ammo. Judging by what the brass looks like afterwards though I would say it was not fully reamed
. IMG_20210601_201336661_HDR.jpg IMG_20210601_201351419.jpg IMG_20210601_202031058_HDR.jpg IMG_20210607_205904909_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Not fully reamed as the 303 reamer will not completely remove all o0f the 6.5 cartridges chamber. My carbine was like that. Frank

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If you reload, neck sizing will be the way to go.

Edit: I forgot, I posted already. I must be getting old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts