Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has had a Dutch M95 Carbine for a while and I've wanted to identify it and buy a bayonet for it.

It is marked "KAV" and so I suspect its a Calvary Carbine. Looking at A Quick and Dirty Guide: Dutch Mannlichers – Surplused it seems to be a KNIL one that had its left side sling loop replaced by a larger ring.

Bicycle part Material property Auto part Wood Gun accessory
Brown Sleeve Collar Tints and shades Auto part
Brown Sleeve Collar Natural material Blazer

However, when I attempted to buy a bayonet for it, the bayonet wouldn't fit. It could seperately fit over the barrel and lock into the lugs, but couldn't do both because the barrel would interfere with the handle.

Textile Wood Grey Pattern Tool
Textile Sleeve Grey Material property Font
Wood Bicycle part Mesh Material property Tints and shades
Light Tap Material property Plumbing Gas

The bayonet is marked "KAR" and was made in Hembrug and is of the same shape as a KNIL carbine bayonet so it should be a KNIL carbine bayonet. To my knowledge all the carbine bayonets for the KNIL were made the same, so it should fit (M1895 "KNIL").

What am I missing?

· Registered
3,368 Posts
First off, do all of the serial numbers match? The last two digits of the serial number on the receiver should also be on the front band and also in the trigger guard, bolt, etc. You are correct it was made for the KNIL in the Dutch East Indies. Your carbine, if matching, is the Cavalry model and the front band is marked CAV. The lower sling swivel with the ring is correct for that model. The KNIL engineers had an identical model except the front band was marked KAR. The bayonets were marked accordingly. You have an engineer bayonet and a cavalry carbine. The bayonets for both are identical just marked differently. However all bets are off if this is one of the Indonesian imports. Most of those have mixed numbers and lots of rust. Have you cleaned out the groove in the bayonet thoroughly and checked to see if there are any dings on the inside of the latch and the edge of the slot?
Dan

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, do all of the serial numbers match? The last two digits of the serial number on the receiver should also be on the front band and also in the trigger guard, bolt, etc. You are correct it was made for the KNIL in the Dutch East Indies. Your carbine, if matching, is the Cavalry model and the front band is marked CAV. The lower sling swivel with the ring is correct for that model. The KNIL engineers had an identical model except the front band was marked KAR. The bayonets were marked accordingly. You have an engineer bayonet and a cavalry carbine. The bayonets for both are identical just marked differently. However all bets are off if this is one of the Indonesian imports. Most of those have mixed numbers and lots of rust. Have you cleaned out the groove in the bayonet thoroughly and checked to see if there are any dings on the inside of the latch and the edge of the slot?
Dan
I've checked those places and every serial number I have found has matched (receiver matches the bolt matches the buttplate matches the front most piece matches the barrel, etc.).

I'll check the grooves and the inside of the latch and the edge of the slot, but the lock-up of the bayonet on the lugs seems fine so I don't think that is the issue.
Wood Line Bumper Wood stain Automotive exterior

The little slot on the top seems to be the issue as it is too high to allow the bayonet to fully seat (it prevents the end from getting close enough to the barrel to lock into the lugs properly) but seems to be in good condition (doesn't seem to have some sort of thick foreign coating).

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Measure the distance between the barrel and the top of the lug at the front and back. See if they are different. Your lug could have taken a blow at the front and be slightly bent up.
Dan

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Something else you might try is loosening the front and rear action screws and slightly loosen the action and barrel in the stock. Then lightly tighten first the rear and then the front screw. Just push down on the action to seat it and don't over tighen the screws. Just snug them down.
Dan

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measure the distance between the barrel and the top of the lug at the front and back. See if they are different. Your lug could have taken a blow at the front and be slightly bent up.
Dan
Automotive tire Gas Rim Household hardware Automotive wheel system

It doesn't seem to be bent (the little black area on the top appears to be a bevel), so I'm not sure what the issue is. As can be seen it looks like there is a bit of the top of the bayonet that is interfering where the barrel is at the back of the mounting area (which I don't think could be due to a bend in the bayonet?).

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Is the top right hand side of the bayonet slot have a ding? Is the upper surface of the slot smooth across both sides?
Dan

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, I don't know what else to tell you. Just make sure there is no rust anywhere, particularly in the slot and on the bearing surfaces.
Dan

· Registered
3 Posts
Guda did you ever get this to work? If not, would you be interested in selling the bayonet? I fear the one my grandfather had has been lost. My aunt says she remembers my uncle "playing with it a lot" as a kid..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts