Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a Dutch carbine for sale at NGD. It's price was slightly high. It was 'J' marked and had police markings.

That made me wonder what I had so after I returned home, I checked mine. Found it was the same, except my serial number was lower.

I took a couple of pictures of mine which I am going to send to the table holder.

Since I had a couple of pictures, I thought I would post them here. Please note that these pictures were taken in haste.

The one with the two rifles - well the rifles are the same size as the disparity is due to the angle of the camera.

·
77,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was asking $4,700.

I paid $49 for each of the ones I have - but that was in the early/mid 60s as I best recall. At least it was before 1968. The seller was at the OGCA show in Columbus and had 2 tables of them.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
He was asking $4,700.

I paid $49 for each of the ones I have - but that was in the early/mid 60s as I best recall. At least it was before 1968. The seller was at the OGCA show in Columbus and had 2 tables of them.
Slightly high? The dealer must think, or maybe he is not thinking at all, he has Queen Wilhemena's or Queen Juliana's personal gold engraved carbine, $4700 I think not. I have never seen either one break the $1k asking price.

·
77,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not followed the price closely in connection with condition. But the couple I saw sold were under $1,000, but I did not know the condition.

The guy usually collect and deals in Browning shotguns and I have seen some on his table (various times) for $30,000 or so. (Lot in the $3,000 to $5,000 range.)

But the Dutch carbines are not Browning shotguns.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have not followed the price closely in connection with condition. But the couple I saw sold were under $1,000, but I did not know the condition.

The guy usually collect and deals in Browning shotguns and I have seen some on his table (various times) for $30,000 or so. (Lot in the $3,000 to $5,000 range.)
But the Dutch carbines are not Browning shotguns.
In mint condition a J or a W maybe $1K.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I also saw the carbine in question at NGD, made me wish I had mine with me, I would have offered it to him at the bargain price of $2000. I did see one other at the show, also a "J" I think it was priced at $895.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
The rifle was mint-ish and matching, he wasn't at his table when I stopped by (and, of course there wasn't a price-tag on any of his guns). When he returned I sauntered over to his table and enquired about the carbine, only to be told it "is a very rare Dutch carbine for the German Police" and worth $4,700!

GEM POL. A'DAM was interpreted by this fine gentleman as "German Police in Amsterdam. When I informed him that Juliana wasn't queen until 1949, and by then all the "German Police in Amsterdam" were in prison cells or dead, I was roughly (and rudely) informed that I didn't know what I was talking about, it's a German carbine (despite being made by FN in Belgium in 1950) and it is so rare I hade likely never seen one before (actually we have bought and sold several dozen of the over the years, most in the same condition as his, and none for more than $1000).

The GEM he interpreted as an abbreviation for German (actually it is Gendarmerie) so it MUST be worth what he was asking, right?

Sigh . . .

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here we go again!

Very nice rifles...8MM I bet. I have 2; an 8mm M1930 in a 1940-41 carbine stock AND an 8mm Persian M30 in a persian M49 carbine stock. They shoot like no other!!!

$4700...WOW! My opinion, he really doesn't want to sell them, he's just "fishing"! They look great from your pics...I'd say if they are that nice in all aspects, $1000 to $1500 EASY!

Jim
Juneau, Alaska

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here we go again!

Very nice rifles...8MM I bet. I have 2; an 8mm M1930 in a 1940-41 carbine stock AND an 8mm Persian M1930 in a persian 1949 carbine stock. They shoot like no there!!!

$4700...WOW! My opinion, he really doesn't want to sell them, he's just "fishing"! They look great from your pics...I'd say if they are that nice in all aspects, $1000 to $1500 EASY!

Jim
Juneau, Alaska
I shot my Czech made Iranian 8mm Carbine 1 ( 5 rounds) time with full power milsurp 8mm and that was enough for me. Very handy carbine but they do kick.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wouldn't say "kicked", it was a bit more of a gun in my hands than my 1936 S/147 Mauser but I never understood the big deal about the recoil response some attribute to them. I actually prefer shooting it more than my "tame" S/147!

But I'm all Alaskan, I'm used to the less "civilized" comforts of the lower 48. ;)

Jim

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,783 Posts
They kick a lot more fired from the bench than they do fired standing.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,590 Posts
THAT, ….I have noticed Bill! But even bench-wise, I'm at a loss of criticism. ;)

Jim
Y'all wear lots of think clothes in Alaska. Your shoulder is well padded. ;) If you are skinny like me even a .22 with a bad butt plate shape is annoying when sweating in a T-shirt in the desert.

·
77,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rifle was mint-ish and matching, he wasn't at his table when I stopped by (and, of course there wasn't a price-tag on any of his guns). When he returned I sauntered over to his table and enquired about the carbine, only to be told it "is a very rare Dutch carbine for the German Police" and worth $4,700!

GEM POL. A'DAM was interpreted by this fine gentleman as "German Police in Amsterdam. When I informed him that Juliana wasn't queen until 1949, and by then all the "German Police in Amsterdam" were in prison cells or dead, I was roughly (and rudely) informed that I didn't know what I was talking about, it's a German carbine (despite being made by FN in Belgium in 1950) and it is so rare I hade likely never seen one before (actually we have bought and sold several dozen of the over the years, most in the same condition as his, and none for more than $1000).

The GEM he interpreted as an abbreviation for German (actually it is Gendarmerie) so it MUST be worth what he was asking, right?

Sigh . . .

I saw a couple that were sold were sold by you. One not too long ago if I recall correctly which was for $895 - again if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

Sigh . . .

A 1950 made WW2 German rifle would be very "rare"..... Like a wormhole in time rare!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.