Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago, I was examining some records and found one referring to the loan of a Dutch Beaumont rifle to a Japanese military officer. Has anyone here ever seen, or know of, a Japanese-marked Beaumont rifle?

C/

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The Type 13 and Type 18 Murata rifles used a striker spring in a hollow bolt handle which was very similar to the Beaumont. Reportedly the designer of these rifles, Major Tsuneyoshi Murata, traveled to Europe in the 1870s and examined many military rifles and their production methods. The Type 13 and 18 had features of the Beumont, Gras and M71 Mausers along with a few of the good Majors original ideas.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Type 13 and Type 18 Murata rifles used a striker spring in a hollow bolt handle which was very similar to the Beaumont. Reportedly the designer of these rifles, Major Tsuneyoshi Murata, traveled to Europe in the 1870s and examined many military rifles and their production methods.
One would assume that Maj. Murata brought back to Japan samples of these rifles for disassembly and examination. I know of at least one Japanese-marked M71 Mauser rifle in a U.S. collection. Doss noted seeing a Japanese-marked M1874 Gras in an online auction. Hence my question as to whether anyone has ever seen, or knows of, a Japanese-marked Beaumont rifle.

C/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts