Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a Dutch beaumont That needs a new firing pin, but I can't figure out how to get the firing pin seperated from the cocking piece. Also, is it just me or are all the bolt parts seperate pieces of metal dovetailed and spliced together? odd. any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes, the parts all fit together like a puzzle. I took the bolt on my Beaumont completely apart and took pictures of it.

It's been a while, but I believe the firing pin would not come out of the cocking piece, as it was a press fit. I don't think it was machined as one piece. Have you dissassembled the bolt? That in itself is a challenge, no? Strange design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did dissassemble the bolt with some help from a website. I noticed on the top of the cocking piece there is a screw with two holes instead of a slot. What is that screw for? Also is the extractor press fitted?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Extractor is a dovetail fit. Soak it in a penetrating oil like KROIL. Then you can tap it forward and out....I made an improvised tool out of a screwdriver, grinding out the middle of the blade to fit the screw with holes instead of slots. On my Bolt, it only turns a little way, and nothing happens. I didn't want to force anything, not being too familiar with what's inside. Sorry can't help you there. Someone here will see this thread that has taken the whole thing apart, surely.... The very back of the Cocking Piece has a witness line scribed across the Firing Pin, so it has to turn, and release?
Regards,
John aka 339th

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Dutch Beaumont bolt disassembly

The bad news may be that it is difficult to find spare parts for the Beaumont. The mainspring which is a V spring similar to what is used in a percussion side lock is prone to breakage if handled uimproperly but a substitute can be made from a suitable V spring from Dixie Gun Works. I bought a " junker " Beaumont that had a good bolt and other parts for spares such as the firing pin. By the way the barrel bands on a Beaumont are the same basic dimensons and shape as on the French Gras. Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts