Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm not so much active on this site as i'm more buzy with FN weapons.
Recently i received some Dutch armorers kits. I could use some input on what all the items do.

Also, is it a rare set or valuable?

This is the Garand M1 set, also nice ; )
If you have info, please say so.

Thanks
Paco

·
Gold Bullet member
11,919 Posts
Paco:

Thanks for posting the photos! Very interesting.

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
Someone else, also in Holland had a set recently, he posted info about it on Enfield-Rifles.com with a lot of the info.
I remember some of it.
The flat plate gauges to the left are firing pin protrusion gauges for different .303 caliber weapons. IIRC Lee-Enfield, Bren & Vickers. The 3 rimmed plug gauges are headspace gauges & I think the "rods" are bore gauges of varying types & sizes.
He thought these would be a Base Workshop item & so not very common & so probably worth a chunk of change.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,887 Posts
never seen one in person for the Enfields, so cannot comment,

the M1 kit is interesting that it has 2 gas cylinder gauges, and not a timing gauge,

the headspace gauges should measure

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
never seen one in person for the Enfields, so cannot comment,

the M1 kit is interesting that it has 2 gas cylinder gauges, and not a timing gauge,

the headspace gauges should measure

It almost looks like a kit that has been put together of 'correct looking' items, but a mixture of test gauges for various 303 calibe firearms, rather than a kit-per-firearm,

The headspace gauge shown reads .074"

Wood Writing implement Office supplies Gas Electric blue

My No1 headspace gauges are similarly marked :
(Note they are marked No1. - No1 headspace gauges were for all of the Lee Enfield 303 rifles, whilst the No2 gauges were for the Pat14 - No3 rifles - different design and size.)

Material property Font Gas Metal Cylinder

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.
I know where they come from and for sure, there should be no reason why they "composed" the set as they used it till not so long ago...

All gages/tools have different markings, some seems to be custom made by Artillerie Inrichtingen in Zaandam (AR10 factory). That might explain why some items look a bit odd.
As for the English set, it says on the outside "English weapons". Since the Dutch Army had No 1 and 4 Enfield + Bren, the set would contain gages custom to there needs.
I might consider ebay or gunbroker? Got a number in mind , or drop a PM if you are interested your self.
As they say, make me an offer i can't resist ; )

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I know where they come from and for sure, there should be no reason why they "composed" the set as they used it till not so long ago...
The reason I suggested that someone may have just filled in some of the spaces is that there is not enough guages in the box for the types of rifles serviced.

For example there look to be only 3 headspace gauges, three are required for the rifle alone (0.064", 0.067" and 0.074")
An armourer uses the 0.067" as a repair function gauge and it should headspace at a maximum of 0.067" after repair.

What sizes are the other 2 headspace gauges in the box ?

I am not doubting the orginality, or the source of the box, just that it is not suffciently complete for an armourer to do all of the gauge checks necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts