Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kinda sad that most Japanese rifles are missing this numbered part. (those that originally had them, of course)
The slot in the cover for the bolt handle was mentioned in another post. Here's an example of the 'straight slot' compared to the 'offset slot'. The upper (straight) example is an assembly numbered Tokyo & the lower (offset) one is a Kokura marked cover. I'm pretty sure all T-99 covers are 'offset'.
I have another cover (t-99) that has always been a mystery to me. It has a "ribbed" look to it & and inspection markings I don't recognise except for the M mark. Help!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
The offset started sometime during the later T-38 runs and continued onto the 99s. I believe the offset was made so that the cover slides back ever more slightly to get a better clearance over the reciever.
That inspection mark is tough to make out, sitting right on top of the crease.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still with that Nagoya M - gotta be one of the subcontractors or some user of Nagoya parts??

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The offset started sometime during the later T-38 runs and continued onto the 99s. I believe the offset was made so that the cover slides back ever more slightly to get a better clearance over the reciever.
That inspection mark is tough to make out, sitting right on top of the crease.
The bolt hole offset gives a "kick" to the rearward movement of the cover. As soon as you you pop that bolt handle up - the cover has moved - this is an excellent improvement to help break free any potential jams.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Mystery cover

Interesting cover. The ribs would of course be from the inside finish of the die the cover was stamped with; curious that they run length wise, one would expect milling marks to run in the short direction.

I'm guessing it was a mismatch cover, so no way to know what it was original to?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting cover. The ribs would of course be from the inside finish of the die the cover was stamped with; curious that they run length wise, one would expect milling marks to run in the short direction.

I'm guessing it was a mismatch cover, so no way to know what it was original to?
Yep, it was a mismatch or something I got in some deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts