Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchases a Gew 98 dust cover. Have only seen the repros with the reddish finish or originals that were so pitted and then cleaned up with wire wheel. I need the opinion of those who are more knowledgeable. Seller is from Europe, and he sent me a couple of pictures, and just need to know if this is legit or a fake. Also what is a fair value for this?
Thanks in advance
JMP

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Looks legit to me. I have the forward end of one of those, and it has a similar W/co. stamp on it. Is this the only one this seller has? I need the rear/bolt end of the cover.

T

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That's what I thought also but just wanted to doubble check to be sure. Better to be safe than sorry!
JMP

·
Diamond Bullet Member
805 Posts
It would never ever think about faking something so small as a dust cover. Some people have too much time on their hands. Is the dust cover market that big?

·
Gold Bullet member
378 Posts
It would never ever think about faking something so small as a dust cover. Some people have too much time on their hands. Is the dust cover market that big?
I've never seen one marked that deep and it doesn't look quite right to me either ...

I'm not sure what they're going for nowadays, but if it's a few hundred bucks because of rarity, then I would suppose fakers will show up. ;)

Here's a righteous one that Bill helped me locate.... :)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

](Click PIC to Enlarge)

1914-18 Gew98 Action Mud Cover (27 pic photo montage .... Click here)http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/germanservicerifles/germanaccessories/ww1rifleactioncover

Regards,
Badger

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
They generally "start" at $400 minimum, for legit decent rigs, they go up from there and like the trench mags they are in demand.. neither may have been especially popular in the field during the war but they are popular today..

MauserBill/Billdildo etc.. taught most of us how to spot the real deal from the Austrian/Paki types. I got el snookerarooo'd several years back on one similar to this one, the Arsetrian seller told me he had a chest full of them, - I believe him.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Okay, now I see the difference. Mine (the forward half) is lightly marked like badgers' and has an imperial fractur as well. It is also dark, unlike the more copper colored one posted at the top.

Funny enough, it shipped with the rifle, but I didn't have a clue what it was - I almost chucked it when I moved!!

Can any of you learned "Gew-guys" comment on the dark stains on the stock of badgers rifle (first picture)??
I have another g98 that has some similar stains and I can't figure out what they are.

Thanks,

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts