Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick and easy question, just to make sure before I purchase. Are all dust covers for 6.5 Arisaka's compatible? Type 38 rifle same as T-38 and T-44 carbines?
Are the all marked in the same way either no number or 3 digit on the back?
All my rifles are mis-matched anyways, but I want to slap a dust cover on at least one for display.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
They should be compatible. A 99 on a 38 would be too short, and a 38 on a 99 would be too long, but the 44 and 38 covers were the same length. They should all be numbered to the rifle on the back flat. Any that are unnumbered are gonna be repros. Alhough, I did hear that the field armorer's kit did have unnumbered dust covers as replacement parts. Never seen one myself pics or otherwise. They should still be proof marked and I would assume they would be easy to fake.

· Registered
147 Posts
Sorta yeah and sorta no. They will all fit and interchange, but dust covers were fit to a particular rifle at the factory. I have had some that worked well on a carbine and rifle, but dragged on a type 44. I have had some that worked well on a koishikawa rifle but dragged on a koishikawa carbine. I believe all of them were numbered on the back. Most will have a riveted or I believe welded "L" shaped piece underneath. If they aren't numbered look for them being a repro.

· Banned
2,144 Posts
short answer is no. they are not interchangeable even between model designations. with that said, yes some will fit on various 38s, 44s, 97s, etc. while some may only fit on the rifle it was numbered to. when buying a loose dust cover you pays your money, you takes your chances. i have found original 38 covers with and without numbers, with riveted "L" bracket, welded "L" bracket, and no "L" bracket.

· Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting. Well I guess I'll just have to take a chance and buy one for a good price. Then if it doesn't function all that well on any of my rifles, it can be used strictly as a display piece, and come off before trips to the range. I don't have any dust covers on my Arisaka's and just want one to show-case the unique feature.
Thanks for the replies. Now off to begin the hunt....

· Registered
147 Posts
Ebay has them all the time. I have found that most will fit a bit loose which is better than a tight fit as it tends not to rub the receiver as much. Expect to pay between 50 and 75 on average. Kind of a cool addition to a rifle even if not original...good luck!

· Registered
1,543 Posts
i have a 38 that came with a mismatched dust cover. as has been stated they were hand fitted to the original rifle.
the top of my receiver shows wear on the blue from the dust cover rubbing. this i why i would never put a dustcover that was not matching on a rifle.
although your rifles are mismatched there is no point in damaging them further. this is just my opinion others may hold a different view on the subject.

· Gold Bullet Member
3,430 Posts
Hello Kh195 :

Thank you so much for the photo of the unnumbered but proofed dust cover, that should provide proof for disOlotus who has never seen one.
Early Tokyo 38 ( rifles - carbines - cavalry ) dust covers were numbered same as the assembly number on the receiver underside, and that included the Kanji or Kana symbol.

148 Infantry :

The typical Type - 38 assembly number is a Kanji or Kana character followed by a one, two, or three digit long number. This same was stamped on most parts including the dust cover. I have yet to see a one digit assembly number, but have two dust covers with two digits, one of which is matching to the rifle I got it [ "ro" 92 ] with; the other is "fu" 20, something else about both of those covers, they have the heavy riveted bracket on the underside and have the straight bolt slot opening.
Vicasoto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.