Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you know how these usually look when you find them (no bluing and all pitted!) you'll appreciate the "new look." Thought it turned out pretty well and just wanted to share some pics. New hobby I'm having a little fun with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How did you apply the Duracoat?

I'm fixing up some old motorcycles, and am giving Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating a try - at least on the parts that don't heat up. Hot parts will get header or bar-bee-que paint.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,740 Posts
It looks really nice.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
thepistol looks good and its a possibility we have to consider when buying a battered pistol we like-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you apply the Duracoat?

I'm fixing up some old motorcycles, and am giving Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating a try - at least on the parts that don't heat up. Hot parts will get header or bar-bee-que paint.
Duracoat is typically applied with an airbrush (I used a Paasche VL-set. dual action). I media blasted with 120 grit aluminum oxide first, then parkerized, then Duracoated. About 4 coats worth. If you're doing automotive work, you'd probably need an actual automotive spray gun. Not sure how cost effective it would be for you to do a whole truck bed with duracoat since it's about $17 for about 4 ounces.

Here's the Makarov i also did..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you bead blast it first? Looks nice if the previous condition was as bad as you described.

Yep. Media blasted with 120 grit Aluminum Oxide. Then Parkerized it before the duracoat. I probably could've got it a little smoother but didn't want to take off too much material. It wasn't in horrible shape, but definitely showed signs of some serious wear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not doing a truck bed; just finished a motorcycle fuel tank.

The Mak looks good too.
For a motorcycle tank you'd probablay be ok, but might still be better off with the automotive spray gun. I think you'd be trying to cover too much surface area with a hobby air brush. Might get more even coverage with the automotive gun. Don't quote me though. the airbursh really atomizes the paint nice. Hard to drip or overspray....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts