Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading Ken Elks new book & was looking at the part concerning rifle & LMG dummy (or excercise) ammunition. It's amazing how many variations there are of this stuff and they are still quite hard to find. I took these photos to send to Ken & thought I might share them here. The first three are 6.5mm dummies. The one on the left has a solid bullet, the middle one has a hollow bullet (also has two indentations on the case head) and the one on the right has a steel bullet and primer (seems to me that would be hard on a firing pin!). The 7.7mm dummy is described in the book as being a T-97 Tank MG dummy, only in the book they are supposed to have an empty primer pocket. This one has an unstruck copper primer. You wanna go crazy? Try collecting the ammo! :)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
dummy ammo

I can imagine that the only dummy or practice ammo that was brought to the US was brought by accident! Why would any self respecting GI want to bring home dummys or blanks?

Kinda' like shovels, no body wanted them in 1945.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be so, but who knows? I kinda doubt that much, if any, of this stuff was outside of Japan during the war. I wouldn't think any field command would want his troops getting this ammo mixed up with the real deal.
With this new book, I need to go through my cartridges & resort them. May have to build a nice new display case for them. Here's some of them & there are some scarce ones in this group.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I have a number of T-11 LMG rim testing rounds that were obtained from the vet who brought them back. He indicated they were removed from an arsenal (couldn't recall now which one or where it was located) building. His outfit arrived late and he only picked them up because they were among the only things left that hadn't been taken.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rim testing rounds? I'd like to see photos of those & maybe you will need to sell me one! ;)

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Goood Eveneeen Mr. Dogs :
A very comprehensive display of ammo. Here are 6 items I picked up last month at the Phoenix show from Larry Nietzel's tables "
a) just identical to your 10th from the left gallery round.
b) " " " " 12th " " " the earliest drill dummy, same two grooves on the bullet and 2 rows of knurling.
c) a 6.5 S.R. with wooden bullet.
d) just identical to your 23rd from the left a steel case, aluminum bullet 7.7 gallery.
e) a 7.7 rimless pink paper bullet .
f) a 7.7 S.R. wooden bullet, Larry's label says " T-92 for M/G use only adopted 1932 ".
These things are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination ( 170.00 ), but Larry does turn up rare and interesting stuff if you are into ammo. He does turn up boxed ammo as often as Wally, a good man to know at the Arizona show.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vic, sounds like you scored some nice rounds & some of the ones I still need to find. Do you have Larry's contact information? You mentioned the 7.7SR wood bullet. Some years ago I bought a full 30 round strip of these from the Rodent at one of the Oldie shootouts.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morn Sir ad :

Yes I do have that info, Larry does turn up rare stuff. His tables are in the first building as you enter the fairgrounds, the one with the partition wall in the middle, just as you enter the far side make a left as if heading for the promoter's tables and you will find him there.
Larry Neitzel
7407 E. Turquoise Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
602-948-2053

Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Victor!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts