Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet this will make some people come outta the woods!

Tonight mustangpython00 and I just drove 4 hours to meet up with some guys who had some rifles to sell.

Apparently from what I've read, these are tough little guys to find! I only did a quick search from the photos he sent me which is what got us to drive that far...
But yeah, it's late... And I'll upload photos later.

The entire thing is numbers matching, besides the bolt.... Blah. No cleaning rod either.

But... I got a stupid crazy rare rifle....

It fits right in with my g98 and k98. I'd say they made a baby. Lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Congrats. At least you did have to work a little for your prize, driving 4 hrs and all ;). And you don't even have to stress over whether and how to do the repair on the duffle cut. It's been done already.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be taking the rifle apart to see how sound the repair is when this enfield is back together

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock matches the receiver. I put some umph into the joint and nothing gave, cracked, or bent. So it seems nice and sturdy.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Is that just a really rare one, or do these things go for that much? What would you guys value the OP's rifle at?
The different variations of the 98b are not easy to find. I think the auction rifle went high considering it appears to have a regular K98k bolt in it. The rifle does have a nicely marked stock and an original sling. The sling alone is probably worth $200 - $250.

·
8,105 Posts
Sparkfly, don't get terribly excited, that is an original, uncut, as manufactured Kar98b. How is your receiver siderail marked? Does it say "Gew98" or does it say "Karab.98b"? The one in the auction is a Kar98b, and they are scarce and hard to find post WW1 manufactured versions of the 98. If not marked "Karab.98b", then you have a German altered Gew98, what collectors call a Gew98M, still a scarce weapon - most were used up in WW2 - but not as valuable as the 98b.

Also, as runner said, it has an original, WW1 dated Kar sling and they are very expensive, especially when compared to post-1933 German Kar slings that are easy to find. Add to that the fact that your stock has been duffle cut and rather poorly repaired. Not trying to run down your rifle, we need to know more so let us know about the rail markings. I do, however, think that you have a good find, one that any collector would find interesting and collectable.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Sparkfly, don't get terribly excited, that is an original, uncut, as manufactured Kar98b. How is your receiver siderail marked? Does it say "Gew98" or does it say "Karab.98b"? The one in the auction is a Kar98b, and they are scarce and hard to find post WW1 manufactured versions of the 98. If not marked "Karab.98b", then you have a German altered Gew98, what collectors call a Gew98M, still a scarce weapon - most were used up in WW2 - but not as valuable as the 98b.

Also, as runner said, it has an original, WW1 dated Kar sling and they are very expensive, especially when compared to post-1933 German Kar slings that are easy to find. Add to that the fact that your stock has been duffle cut and rather poorly repaired. Not trying to run down your rifle, we need to know more so let us know about the rail markings. I do, however, think that you have a good find, one that any collector would find interesting and collectable.
+1. The exposed cut in the middle of your rifle has significant detriment to value. Also, you cannot underestimate the power of the grey blanket. The average joe putting his rifle up will generally not pull the prices he does.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
These two 98b are entirely different, Larry's was a Simson made rifle and this one is an S28, - made by different firms at different times. The S28 is much more rare in original-matching condition.

Of course, who knows what exactly the OP has, it looks like the stock could be original, the acceptance is right for an early S28, though it is also right for a late DWM-Oberspree too... if the rifle is an original-matching S28 it is worth a lot more than the d-block Simson m/m Larry sold (early Simson 98b are much more scarce than their late production, especially matching, - Larry did well at $1800 for "that" rifle... nice original-matching can pull $3k but that one was neither). It could also be worth a lot less, - while an S28 is truly rare original-matching, they are not especially rare m/m, dozens are known, only a couple truly matching and original.

I also agree the DC doesn't help value at all with this rifle.

·
8,105 Posts
I disagree, it's certainly not a Gew98M as his rifle has sling slot and a turned down bolt, all of which are features on a 98b
You could be correct, but until the OP tells or shows us what the receiver rail markings are, we have no way of knowing for certain.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
You could be correct, but until the OP tells or shows us what the receiver rail markings are, we have no way of knowing for certain.
As SS stated, its clearly an S28 98b. You can tell by the receiver acceptance and the roll marked '1920'. Side rail doesn't matter though some 98bs have Gew98 side rails. Doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Receiver rail is blank. Stock has seriel matching to the receiver I found it thanks to the other auction. Bolt is from a k98 I belive to the waffenampts on it.

I will photograph in more detail tonight.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts