Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Series 23 type 38 rifle. Two things are confusing me. One is figuring out the approximate time it was produced. It has a series stamp on it that looks to be the one for the 23rd series at the Kokura Arsenal, but I haven't found anything online yet that matches the series up with the approximate year of production. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

Also, the gun appears to have two serial numbers on it, the rifle and the bolt are stamped with two numbers, and everything else is stamped with one of those numbers as well, including the stock pieces. Did the Japanese mix parts and duel mark things in the arsenal or is there some other explanation?

Any help would be appreciated, Japanese rifles are outside of my normal area of interest, though I'm finding this one fascinating.

Peter

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Kokura arsenal matched up the parts with both with an assembly number and the last three digits of the serial number. The assembly numbers should be proceeded with a Japanese character. The bolt, safety, dustcover and floorplate will be matched by the serial number, the rest the assembly number.

Frank Allan's book on the T38 estimates production to be between February through October of 1939.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts