1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic author: skywarp989
Subject: dry firing my mak?
Posted on: 05/11/2006 01:58:19 AM

Okay or not okay? I know some guys say to never dry fire any gun, and I tend to not dry fire .22 rimfires, especially if the FP isn't easily replaceable.

But with my Mosins and Mausers I consider dry firing an important part of being a good shot, and would imagine the same is true with pistols.

I know, for example, CZ52s are notorious for breaking FPs during dry fire. But can I dry fire my Bulgarian Makarov without worry, or should I try to find or make a snap cap or two?

Thanks!

Replies:

Reply author: Fenderman
Replied on: 05/11/2006 04:46:59 AM
Hello Sky dry firing does not hurt a mak at all.Some folks take firing pin out to dry fire.But makarovs have free floating firing pins so it's not really nessecary.And i also believe dry firing has helped my accuracy alot.Of course maks are pretty accurate to start with Fenderman

Reply author: El Capitan
Replied on: 05/11/2006 11:01:14 AM
Hey Tom:

I don't know about dry firing, but I know that I was shocked how accurate my new Bulgy is. I went up to Duluth for the Homegrown Festival last weekend and took the Mak and Glock to the pistol range at UNS. You'll find alot of orange dust where I shot clays at the 25yd backstop.

It was kind of a 'spur of the moment' trip - I'll try to let you know when I'll be up next. Maybe we can do that AK shoot...

Brian

Reply author: oldguy
Replied on: 05/11/2006 11:06:01 AM
Dry fire all you want with your mak. Excellent practice, tape target
on wall assume the position and fire away, oops, check to make sure
it is dry fire.!!!!!!!!!

Reply author: distguitar
Replied on: 05/11/2006 11:16:57 AM
I'd still would get a snapcap from makarov.com... I do dry fire now and then, but it just feels bad :)
I might over-stress this issue, but I preffer to take care of my favorite piece...

Reply author: OSU84
Replied on: 05/11/2006 12:03:35 PM
I agree, snap caps are cheap insurance!

Reply author: oldguy
Replied on: 05/11/2006 2:14:50 PM
While I use snapcaps in all my guns except the mak. just don't see any advantage with snapcaps on the mak with its free floating
firing pin.

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 05/11/2006 7:55:21 PM
Snap caps are unnecessary with a Makarov.
There is no harm to any of the parts with dry firing.

Reply author: alamo
Replied on: 05/11/2006 8:07:19 PM
Ditto, I've dry fired my Bulgarian thousands of times. If it were a problem, I would have had one a long time ago as well as many others.

Reply author: criticalbass
Replied on: 05/11/2006 9:39:17 PM
Dry firing is a good way to smooth the DA trigger pull and develop more strength in your trigger fingers. (You do practice with your weak hand, don't you?)

Ditto on the thousands of times. Like many military weapons, the Mak is designed to take dry firing. CB

Reply author: bscott
Replied on: 05/12/2006 11:27:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by El Capitan

Hey Tom:

I don't know about dry firing, but I know that I was shocked how accurate my new Bulgy is. I went up to Duluth for the Homegrown Festival last weekend and took the Mak and Glock to the pistol range at UNS. You'll find alot of orange dust where I shot clays at the 25yd backstop.

It was kind of a 'spur of the moment' trip - I'll try to let you know when I'll be up next. Maybe we can do that AK shoot...

Brian

Off topic I know, but on the accuracy point Iv'e said before just how surprised I was as well, and I'm almost scared of jinxing myself.

My first shooting session with my Bulgie left me standing there saying "naw that cant be right" to myself. I have NEVER had a pistol with fixed sights that shot to point of aim without some work, or that I was able to shoot so well so easily- it was almost scary.

Convinced that it had to be some sort of repetitive fluke, I burned up LOTS of ammo that afternoon, just making sure it wasn't a dream or something.

So now I've accepted it, sometimes it does just work out that way I guess.

Reply author: jth
Replied on: 05/13/2006 08:35:12 AM
Dry firing probably won,t hurt a Mak , just don,t dry fire almost
ANY Star handgun. They WILL breaK

Reply author: rmeron
Replied on: 05/13/2006 10:51:22 AM
It's the most inexpensive way(not the most fun)to smooth the trigger pull,especially double action.

Reply author: alamo
Replied on: 05/13/2006 11:18:46 PM
The DA trigger on my unissued Bulgarian was an onry one. Two thousand dry fires did little to smooth it out and lighten it. I finally did the mainspring mod (removing metal from the sides of the DA leaf) and that did the trick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
whap caps

I dry fire a lot, and have snap caps, but out of convenience I have started using a rolled tight piece of paper towel, cut to proper length, and fitted in front the firing pin end. The hammer impacts against the paper mass. All of the DA pull length is there. This quiets things down, too: the wife does not have to be bothered with the spectre of the psychopath dry firing his gun over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, .....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts