Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First I'd like to ask your forgiveness for my ignorance. :)

The story, as I've been told, is that someone who went to world war 2 found a German Drilling gun and brought it home. From there it has somehow managed to get into the hands of my father in law. Sadly, I dislike my father in law, but his wife, his daughter(my wife), and I actually, wanted to know a little more about this gun.

I saw this gun just a couple of days ago and it was the first time I had ever seen one at all. It was absolutely beautiful. It had remarkable engravings over every square inch of metal on the gun. I wish I could have taken pictures, some other time perhaps. Anyway, on the top of the gun the names Krupp and Laufstahl are engraved which I assume are the makers or something. I found 1 serial number on it, which took some hunting actually, and I think I found a date on it but I was foolish and forgot to write that down.

So, I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me a little more about the history of this gun and how much something like that might be worth in todays market, although I have advised them to not sell it. I've tried to do some searching of my own online to no avail. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
A drilling (actually, dreiling, from the German word "drei" for "three") is a three-barreled combination-gun, usually consisting of a double-barreled shotgun, in combination with a single-barreled rifle. They were quite popular in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria about the time that cartridges first became widely available.

In order for us to give you any sort of information on its worth, we would have to know considerably more than you have given us.

Krupp could have been one of the makers, as that company was a big armaments maker prior to and during WWI.

I don't know what Laufstahl might refer to. Perhaps someone else here does.

You might wish to visit this URL for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_(firearm)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Krupp, a steel maker made the barrel. krupp made also canon's but not small arms.
Laufstahl only means barrel steel.
Krupp Laufstahl had and have a fine reputation for quality.

·
Administrator
9,776 Posts
Krupp Laufstahl Drilling

Krupp of Essen made the Steel bar which became the barrel in the hands of a barrel maker.

Whilst Krupp made cannon barrels (from 20 mm upwards to Big Dora (800mm)), they did not get into "small calibre" barrel making. One of their subsidiary companies may have actually made the "barrel tubes" from Krupp "barrel steel" to be finished and assembled by a Buchsenmacher (Gun maker).

The quality and composition of the barrel steel is what sold the finished gun. (Poldi of Kladno in Czechoslovakia (former AH empire) was a similar, highly regarded barrel-steel maker, as was Bohler.)

You will have to look carefully for other indications of a maker ( probably from the Suhl area, in Thuringia.). Most German makers scribed their names quite visibly on the rib or the action body; H. Kreighoff made German Service drillings for the Luftwaffe Heavy Bomber crews ( 8x57R and 12 or 16 gauge) flying on Arctic patrol (Polar Bear country) and also North Africa;

Other names may be Simson, Merkel, Haenel,Schilling etc. all known to have made Drillings from before WW I.

What are the calibres of your Drilling (look under the barrel/s).?

Photos would be nice too, for ID Purposes.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics
Brisbane, Australia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts