Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I think I've decided it's time to give it a go with mounting a PE scope on a mosin. I just got a Finn M39 with a PE rig on it (see mosin hq forum), and I really like it so I think I want to do my own 91/30 PE setup. I have all the proper equipment really (quality drill press, carbide bits, etc). My question is, on the two front screws on either side of the receiver (the two closest to muzzle end of rifle); if I drill a bit too far and go into the barrel a little, will that render the rifle unsafe to fire? I don't mean going balls-to-the-wall and driving the bit right through into the chamber, that of course would not be good. What I'm talking about is just going into the meat of threaded part of the barrel a bit. I'm confident in my ability to the point where I don't think it will happen, but if it does I'd like to have a little "before-hand" insight.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It will not hurt if you drill into your barrel "a bit". Determine how much of the screw will be threaded into the barrel and drill the holes slightly deeper than that. You may want to have two tap drills on hand so that you can grind one flat on the end to make a flat bottom hole. And you do not need carbide for a Mosin - all that I have drilled were relatively soft and drilled fine with high speed steel drill bits. Drill with the pointed drill first and then finish with the flat ended one. You will also need a bottoming tap to get the threads close to the bottom of the flat bottomed hole. This minimizes the depth the hole needs to be which should only be deep enough to accept the screw and hold the mount securely. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts