Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..ready to start drilling and tapping all of my ex-snipers (sorry, but I paid for them and they are mine) in preparation for putting the bases/mounts/scopes on them.

Ebay has a whole list of sets available for sale. I imagine these drill and taps to be cheapo's. Any good sources out there that are the correct thread and pitch?

Also, any good advice or ideas for removing the pins?

·
Gold Bullet member
14,167 Posts
Ok..ready to start drilling and tapping all of my ex-snipers (sorry, but I paid for them and they are mine) in preparation for putting the bases/mounts/scopes on them.

Ebay has a whole list of sets available for sale. I imagine these drill and taps to be cheapo's. Any good sources out there that are the correct thread and pitch?

Also, any good advice or ideas for removing the pins?
Go for it IMO. I fought a hard battle on the collector forum to at least combat the notion that to do so makes a fake. When restored, these are restored ex-snipers, not fakes. A fake was never a sniper and neither was a replica. Words have meanings.

I would get the best taps available at whatever the cost.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
+1 to everything that Mike said. I know Accumounts has bits/taps, but if you run into a really hard one, they may not be good enough. I'll have to contact a gunsmith friend of mine and ask him where he would find them. He's the same guy who did my '34 PE restoration and I know he had to order better bits and taps for that. I've done a couple with the Accumounts taps and carbide bits that I found at Menard's, but I also ran into a really hard front screw on a PEM and had to take it to the smith. You just don't know how it will go until you get into it.

John

·
Gold Bullet member
2,671 Posts
The titanium-coated bits
available at Home Depot may as well be sticks of butter. Those welds are incredibly hard.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.