Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drill and Tap: I have noticed many of the Model 96 based sporters have been drilled and tapped for side mounts. With or without side mount scope are these rifles considered "modified." How are these rifles valued with side mounts. I also have a Model 46 with butchered bolt handle. What gives with these changes?

As with most other firearms extra holes impact the value. I have one of the rifles using an FN action. The ring portion of the mount is missing. Would it be an act of desecration to drill and tap for aperture sight or mounts on the top of the action. I do not want to make matter worse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have one set up for the 3 screw side mount. It was a common set up for them, and really is no different than an American rifle that has a Griffin & Howe side mount.
The Swede mounts are out there, just be prepared to pay for them.
If the rifle is more shooter than collector, it is your call.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I looks like the Swedes used a mixture of commercial side mounts with little interchangeability.
Maybe I got lucky.
My rifle was set with a 3 hole base, and it had a 3/8" dovetail. So far, all the mounts I have bought have been the same basic dimensions, but there is a bunch of different clamping methods.
And some photo's I have seen appear to have the Jackenroll mounts, rather then Swede commercial.
Never did find out what company made the Swedish ones.
I had to find 1 for the rifle, found a incomplete one for parts (missing the rear ring), and the lucked into a 3rd.
Now this was 10~12 years ago so it is hard to say what is out there now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i bought this m46...

and my gunsmith made it into this.....

the husky was already d&t for a side mount. so what the heck, i had my gunsmith bend the bolt and d&t for the "correct" way:ROFLMAO:. since my eyes are old and worn out(mostly worn out:giggle:), i figure a scope is whats needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the husky was already d&t for a side mount. so what the heck, i had my gunsmith bend the bolt and d&t for the "correct" way:ROFLMAO:. since my eyes are old and worn out(mostly worn out:giggle:), i figure a scope is whats needed.
The guy does nice work. Lowering a bolt is a dying art many places. My 8mm sporter has a Bubba job on the original bolt handle. It's not beyond repair. I do not want to discuss declining hearing or eyesight!😊 I'm due to get the 9.3 using FN action back tomorrow from having the barrel recrowned. That rifle has an altered bolt. Photo's to follow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not extinct but further and further apart. My favorite locally passed away many years ago. My last bolt handle was welded on. Welding or nothing around here. The last out of town job I tried absconded with my action, That done it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only way to go.
Stick with me. Pictures are on the way. At one time we did have a gunsmith who did low forge bolt handles. The weld on bolt handles are great no doubt about it. The person who did all my bolt handles did not weld on gun parts. This was decades ago. The other good guy in town did weld. I think we may be talking about person preference.

I had to deal with a Mauser sporter where Bubba had ruined the bolt trying to forge the bolt handle low. I did have recently a bolt handle welded own that was very similar to yours.

Added: Today we get out to shoot the 9.3's. If I don't get back the worst has happened.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No problems with this older rifle. There was a wonderment. These rounds were handloads with the Hornady 286gr. bullet. The charge was 43grs. of IMR 4064 in cases formed from PPU 8mm brass. This first group was fired at 50 yards off a rest. The point of aim was a 6 o'clock on the large orange bull. The original open sights were as they came to me. Enclosed is the five shot group from this rifle #4XXX. I could hunt with this firearm right now. I've never had this happen on any pre-owned gun. Remember point of aim was a six o'clock on the orange. This is no bad place to start with unfamiliar rifle with handloaded cartridges not specifically for this rifle..

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
that is certainly no surprise for a rifle named 'husqvarna'. you just happen to be extra-lucky that the sites and your eyes are also coordinated.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,955 Posts
Do I see powder burns??? :oops::LOL:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The down side of the day had to do with the FN based 9.3x57. Guy did a great job on recrowning the barrel. There was some concern about the iron sights. The front sight appeared to be stuck to the ramp with soft solder. Plans are to remove junk and recenter front blade. A hair line crack to open in the wrist area. That is to be patched and the recoil lug glass bedded. The stock had been cut and the old butt plate trimmer to fit. The butt was beveled slightly. Read Bubba here. After the stock is found to be salvageable repair pull with recoil pad. We'll drill and tap this one. The other rifle is to be left as is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The guy does nice work. Lowering a bolt is a dying art many places. My 8mm sporter has a Bubba job on the original bolt handle. It's not beyond repair. I do not want to discuss declining hearing or eyesight!😊 I'm due to get the 9.3 using FN action back tomorrow from having the barrel recrowned. That rifle has an altered bolt. Photo's to follow.
my hearing is still pretty good, i have my doctor flush them out every six months. i have very bad wax build on my ears, esp the left one!!!!!

both of my targets are 100 yards with a leupold 2-7x and 5 shots

280gr rn gc with imr 4895(left, bottom)

275gr wfn gc with imr 4895

Reactions: Mowgli Terry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The an old rule is to take a 50yd group and multiply by 1.25 for a approximation of a hundred yard group. I realized you were shooting at 100 yards with very good group. I had few rounds and no idea where the either gun would shoot. The 46 did very well. Evidently, your rifle does very well also.

We don't do mild cartridges with heavy bullets much in this country. Maybe we missed something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have only shot one doe(50ish yards) with the 9.3x57 and 275wfn gc(i have chrony it) and it was awesome. she was broadside and i took her behind the shoulder, ripped thru two lungs and it exited (1 1/4"+/- wound).

last year i had my 35/30-30 with 200gr fn gc and 2400/dacron(1726fps). i shot a doe at about 30+/- yards behind the shoulder. she trotted about 15-20 yards before she fell over.

i shot a doe with 444 marlin and 300gr fn gc with 2400/dacron(1624fps) at 35 yards behind the shoulder. she didn't run. a very fat 4pt was shot at 60ish yrds, behind the shoulder. he ran about 25ish yards before he fell over.

all deer are thru and thru. i even got deer with 30-40 krag(my speeder) and a 165gr ranch dogs with h4198 going 1926fps. they are drt too. my oldest son has the record with that krag and ranch dog at 173 yards. he shot a doe at 173 yards and she was drt also.

ruger sbh(4 5/8' barel) 44 mag with 280gr wfn and unique kills deer. the same revolver with 44 spl with unique(skeeter load) and 250gr penta hp or 255gr keith type boolit kills deer too.

its all in the placement of the boolits. not the speed;):)

Reactions: Mowgli Terry

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts