Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good Evening,

Have owned several Dreyse rifles and now shooting a '41 long rifle. Good source of needles w/holders are the West brothers out of the United Kingdom. They are the authors of several books on Dreyse, Chassepot, and more. The brothers are very knowledgeable and always helpful:

[email protected]

Simply use 4-wing musket caps and you can also find the bullet mold at Accurate Molds.

I also use homemade wooden sabots.

Randy

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good Morning,

No video on my sabots. Here is what I can give you:

A. Mini-lathe a must!!!
B. Sabot used is for the egg-shaped bullet

1. Dreyse Wooden Sabots with some info I put online
2. Sabot length is 1"
3. Sabot Diameter 5/8"
4. Birch wood (must use a soft wood)
5. I did have a custom drill bit made to hollow out and create the hole for the bullet and for the 4-wing cap

Aircraft Grey Fin Wood Vehicle

6. Hole for cap is .25" wide x 12mm long (short part of bit) and the diameter of the bit is 14mm
7. Cut 1" blanks
8. Make one pass with the bit to a length of 29mm into the blanks

Hope That Helps,
Randy

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good Evening All,

From my small sampling of Dreyse cartridge and sabot construction, I must respectfully disagree with the Brothers West on not creating allowing a pathway between the musket cap pocket and the base of the bullet. As you can see from my photos above, I use a custom drill bit to drill out my wooden sabot in one pass. This necessitates punching a hole in the bottom of the sabot that creates the pocket for the cap. The Brothers West suggest that we leave some material intact to prevent combustion gases from pushing the bullet out of the sabot greatly affecting accuracy.

In my limited amount of shooting, I have always had very good accuracy out to 75m. Next time I take the '41 out, I will seal off the hole from the primer pocket to prevent any gas leak.

Randy

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good Evening,

I completed 50 cartridges (40 with holes and 10 without) last night and will be heading to the range in 10 days. I will give 100 yards a go and report back on my accuracy. Please note that I have never used a scope, sandbag, or rifle stand to fire my weapons. So, my accuracy, also informed by my much less precise manufacturing skills, will display more variablity in accuracy than Guy and Leonard who are originalists and prefectionists. The excellence of their books are testaments to their patience and diligence.

My objectives have been to first, simply get lead on the paper, second be in the black, and third a few rounds through the x. Time to manufacture original rounds is a problem right as my college calls on me to work a very long hours helping my students. So the shortcuts/hacks are a necessity right now.

When retirement comes, I will switch gears and become more of a originalist and see what my Dreyse, Chassepot, and Carcano can do in a 19th century reality.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts