1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
Reactions: wyowillys46

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
I highly recommend this book. There is a chapter on how to make the cartridges.

Green Wood Font Rectangle Triangle

Product Font Cosmetics Line Material property

White Product Rectangle Font Line

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
The base of the sabot showing the rings left from winding the sabot

I am really confused about the material of which the sabot was made. Some authors state formed/pressed papier-mache, some state coiled paper. I see the rings on your photo (not very well), but they could be from the process of cutting/facing the bottom of the sabot. What say you - really coiled paper? Guy and Leonard, extremely knowledgeable on the subject say coiled paper that "unfurls" in shooting. But the contemporary accounts state that the sabots didn't disintegrate/unfurl and could hurt the troops nearby if hit. Hence my confusion...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
I have that book. From a manufacturing point of view making sabots from rolled paper and then turning them from both sides seems to be a very inefficient method. Forming them from paper pulp (papier-mache) would be a lot more productive. But I don't speak German and I am unable to find the proper text on sabot fabrication.

Air gun Organism Trigger Shotgun Wood

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
papier mache is impossible, it would never stand the stresses.
Disagree. There were even shells with sabots of papier-mache for muzzle loading rifled cannons. I need to check with the book on exactly what model, don't remember right now.

PS. Schenkl used papier-mache sabots. 3-inch Schenkl Shell - Case Shot

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
Guy and Leonard, your knowledge is amazing! Thank you!

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
I don't want to be the doubting Thomas, just being curious. If the sabot is made of rolled paper, then the edge of the paper strip would be visible on the outside surface of the sabot. Could you tell me if that's the case?

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
Thank you. Is the edge/seam visible from the side?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts