Gunboards Forums banner

Dreyse M60 Fusiliergewehr Help

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  FABIAN23 
#1 ·
Hello, I read the thread on the Dreyse guns in the recent post and was hoping you guys could help me out.
Several months ago, I was walking around an antique store in Anchorage, my usual residence, and came across a bayonet. It was tagged as a M71 Mauser bayonet, but it didn't look quite right. I decided to buy it and after taking it home, found it didn't really fit the M71, so I dug around in my books and discovered it really went to a Dreyse Fusiliergewehr and too bad it didn't have a scabbard. I pointed out to my wife and some friends that I now had a bayonet that I'd never have a gun for.. I've never seen any needle gun at any of the Gun Shows I've been to, which is a fair amount.
Well, this winter I,ve just started my first year of snow birding to Arizona and make it to a show in Tucson, where I run across my first Dreyse needlegun. The seller told me a bit about it, being a M60 Fusiliergerwehr. The price was a bit stiff for me, but I loved looking at it and wished I'd hit the lottery or something. It wasn't until that night that I realized that that was the rifle I have a bayonet for in Anchorage, brain still cold from being up there I guess.
Well, this last weekend I attend a show in Phoenix and there it is, still waiting for me. And to make the long story a bit shorter, bought it. Now for the help part.
Basically, I always buy guns to shoot, odder the better and this one is in really good shape, except I'm pretty sure the needle is too short.
Could anyone please let me know what the correct length for this model would be, how I can repair the present needle and if possible, how to make new ones to save the origional. Also, I'd love the specifics of how you make the cartridges, does anyone make that football shaped bullet mold or is there a subsitute and how you make the sabot. Cartridge length and such.
I've been trying to find information on the web, but haven't been very successful. I did find a site in German that is a little helpful and has a really cool YouTube attachment on the Needlegun. Looks like something from a German History channel or documentary.
http://www.schmids-zuendnadelseite.de/index.html
Anyway, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, I loved that thread on the needleguns. Regards, Guns

See less See more
#2 ·
congratulations to your FG60!

you can calculate the right length by a simpel way:

"field-method" if it possible that the needle was broken....

unscrew the needle form the bold. place the needle on the rihgt side of the breech. (back of the needle one line with back of the breech). Then there is on the right side, in front of the "cartridge insert" a thin vertical marking... the needle must reach this marking, then the lenght is corrcet... (line see picture)

If the needle of your FG 60 is to short, you can see how long the needle must be...

#3 ·
Thank you PeterS, That was good information. My needle appears to be about 15mm or about 5/8 inch short. Is it possible to replace the steel portion of the needle? Has anyone come up with replacements for these? Do you get to shoot yours in Germany?
Thanks again and regards, Guns

#4 · (Edited)
I'm getting a lathe here pretty soon and needles are one of the first things I was planning on making. I sent you a PM regarding a mold.

#9 ·
New needle

Here is a copy of the needle for my M/62 I made up (top) and the original (bottom). I measured the original and it turns out that the diameter of the brass sleeve is 2mm and the steel needle is 1mm, with the threaded head having a M5 thread. Off I went to the local model shop to get some brass 2mm pipe, which just so happens to have a 1mm bore, and some 1mm steel wire. All that and some M5 brass screws gave me all I needed to get to work.

I bored out the screw to seat the brass sleeve and inserted the steel wire through that. It is all held together with a two part metal adhesive boldly called 'liquid metal'. The screw head just needed turning down a touch. I did all this with a dremel and its little drill press kit so anyone can potentially do it.

#10 · (Edited)
Fabian23, Good job on the replacement needle. I got a really nice one in from Peter in Germany, I guess there is a company there that makes them. Your's looks like a fine job. I just got in a bullet mold from Wild West, nice mold, but all my casting stuff is in Alaska, and I'm in Arizona until April. I'm hoping to put something together down here anyway, but it won't be easy.
One interesting thing I've come across taking a local drawing class. Artists use a thing called a "stub", which is a rolled paper pencil, pointed on both ends and you rub your charcoal on it to apply and rub in the charcoal onto the paper. Anyway, they come in several diameters and one is 5/8 inch, which I think should be the perfect diameter for the sabot, just cut to length and hollowed for the bullet. Haven't been able to prove this yet, but will post more as I know. Still like to find out the cartridge dimensions if anyone out there knows. Regards, Guns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.