Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of Hungarian heavy silver/yellow tip ammo. This ammo is very clean and it goes boom every time without any problems, but my Mosin 91/30 just doesn't like it. At 50 yards I can barely fit 5 shots in a 4 inch circle (with scope) . Seems like this ammo is very inconsistent, and it kicks like no other ammo I've shot. Just to compare , same riffle will do about 1.5 inch @50 yds with Czech silver tip light ball.
What I would like to do is to open all the bullets and lighten the charge on them . I have never reloaded ammo ,so I have no reloading tools at all.
My question is , what would be the minimum of tools I have to buy to accomplish this ?

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
I have a bunch of Hungarian heavy silver/yellow tip ammo. This ammo is very clean and it goes boom every time without any problems, but my Mosin 91/30 just doesn't like it. At 50 yards I can barely fit 5 shots in a 4 inch circle (with scope) . Seems like this ammo is very inconsistent, and it kicks like no other ammo I've shot. Just to compare , same riffle will do about 1.5 inch @50 yds with Czech silver tip light ball.
What I would like to do is to open all the bullets and lighten the charge on them . I have never reloaded ammo ,so I have no reloading tools at all.
My question is , what would be the minimum of tools I have to buy to accomplish this ?

A press, at least a seater die, a bullet puller, maybe a crimp die since you will be messing with neck when you pull them, scale. Those things for starters. Since you are going to pull them apart and re-weigh the powder, why not knock out the primers and put in new non-corrosive ones. That would mean buying primers, a priming tool and a decapping die.

regards....roger

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The LEE tools are good you need a press, die set with crinp die like $20 powder nmasser and scale and a bullet puller and a good reloading book the LEE is good. All together it would be about $150+. You may want to trade for some LB ammo. The Hung sil-yellow tip is good stuff someone will trade it for the S&B sil-tip. The sil-yellow tip is very good ammo it is very consistent it may be the recoil that is makeing it shoot all over the target.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you are close to Dallas, I would swap Czech silver tip for your heavy ball. I want more types of heavy ball to test in my Maxim. Saturday I installed my conversion kit in my 08/15, and I want to test different types of 7.62x54R before I sell my last pallet of 8mm Romanian.
Tribrothers

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
they are berdan primers, so they are staying. I have a very limited space and around 700 bullets . I don't want the cost of equipment exceed the value of ammo I'm working on...
Midwayusa has Lee classic loader http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=223459&t=11082005
I wonder if this would do with a bullet puller.
Forgot about the Berdan primers :eek:

I'd try and trade it rather than rework it. The cost will be too much.

regards....roger

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like a lot of hassle.
well, I'm in South Florida (Key West) .
I come to Key Largo shooting range once a month. If anyone interested in trading the heavy ball for light , I'm all for it.
I heard those heavy Hungarians shoot well in M44's

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You should buy more guns tll you find one that shoots it good. A reason to buy more guns. Sound like a good Idea.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Without a doubt you should pick up a post war M44 (these run $70 or so).
The shockwave and fireball you get from heavy ball combined with a short barrel is one of life's little pleasures....

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the fireball sounds tempting, but if the recoil is bigger then from 91/30 than I'm not sure if I'd want some of that...
As far as buying more guns until I find the one that shoots it well.. that's tempting...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Get a PAST recoil shield and to hell with the recoil. The PAST recoil shield is a must for shooting surplus guns and ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a recoil pad, I wouldn't be able to shoot more than 10 at a time if I didn't. They kick more than heavy 30-06.It comes to the point that the shooting is not fun anymore, when I'm all covered in bruises and can't hit the bullseye. I can shoot 8mm Mauser without a pad, but this is too brutal .My nearest range is 100 miles away. When I go there I want to shoot all my rifles and pistols as much as I can, meaning up to 100 bullets through each rifle.
So far no one has offered a simple , inexpensive solution. I think I;ll try Lee reloader http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=223459&t=11082005
Description :The Lee Classic Reloader contains everything you need to begin loading (except a hammer). Kit includes Sizing Die, Decapping Chamber, Bullet Seater and Priming Chamber, Priming Rod, Powder Measure, load data, plastic case and complete instructions.
This kit is $15.99 plus maybe $20 for a bullet puller, some shipping . If it doesn't work out (because of metal cases) , I can always start loading my own brass .

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
With that LEE kit it will take you about a week nonstop to down load your 54R And you wont be happy with them.. They would be bolt gun only if you dont crimp them the bullets will be lose. big pain in the ass. Get the LEE starter kit then you can start reloading your own A new hobby.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
I bought some of that nasty Czech steel cased ammo headstamped "ZV 58". It would expand & stick in every clean & burr-free chamber I own, so I reduced the powder weight from the factory 43.5 down to 39.5. It's now a really accurate and easy to shoot load.

I now wish I had bought the entire crate instead of only 500 rounds:D

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what's your suggestion on doing it quick and easy ?
I'm getting me an M44 to try it in, but still would like to find an easy way to reduce the loads.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
I'm getting me an M44 to try it in, but still would like to find an easy way to reduce the loads.
You seem to be stuck on "quick and easy" ;)

Everything that has been posted indicates it won't be that way. It will be time consuming and, if not done right, you will end up with even less accurate ammo. Either wait for the M44 to see if it works to your satisfaction or jump in with both feet and be ready to reload correctly and safely. It looks like we're all going to end up doing that anyway ! :)

regards....roger

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
A Lee press (any press for that matter) a 54R shell holder and a pair of cheapo wire strippers will do nicely to pull the bullets BUT you still need a seater die to reseat the bullet ,that seater die will also crimp if you have it set properly as for powder measures there are the Lee dippers that work well .That Sir is about the Least expensive way your going to do it. Look around on the interweb and see if you cant find a used press and dies and a dipper set and even better a scale

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Panrobercik If you have a recoil shield and you can only shoot about 10 rds you need a better one Go to the midway web-site use part #367156 and # 948194 I use this when shooting there is no more pain....

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll shoot 10 without the pad, but that's not the point. I have to drive 100 miles to shoot 4 inches at 50 yards that's 8MOA... may as well be throwing the bullets at the target with my left hand... Put yourself in my situation : 5 hours per month at the range - would you even waste your time shooting 8MOA ? If I got to go shooting every week, than I would do a little of pure entertainment with the hard kicking stuff and a little of actual target shooting, but It's just not enough time for both.
I'm going to start looking for some used reloading equipment

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
If you want something a little less obtrusive than the PAST pad, take a look at these: www.shooterpads.com

They're a durable slip-on that fits everything I own, slides on & off easily, yet stays put is made with a gel pad plus removable inserts that adjust stock length - especially handy for those Too Short M-38 & M-44's.

Mine is over 3 years old and I haven't been able to break it or wear it out yet (unlike the Pachmayr slip-on that began taring after a few months' use).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts