Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what kind of material was used to hold this base over the barrel? It looks like a tin. Thank you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So, what type of solder would be appropriate for re-soldering? And how can I do it? Tools,procedures,materials etc.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
silver

I believe it is a mixture of silver solder and something else. The forum at k98k.com has a few very helpful individuals and I'm sure you can either look up this previously asked question or ask again. I believe it was also recently answered on the MSA website. Do you have the mounts and scope, what kind?

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Not sure what you are up to with the mount or what you want to put it on, but you could heat and wipe off the solder remaining, and then use epoxy to hold it to the rifle. Sounds funky I know, but works, and is far easier to remove if you ever need to without hurting the rifle finish underneath.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Not sure what you are up to with the mount or what you want to put it on, but you could heat and wipe off the solder remaining, and then use epoxy to hold it to the rifle. Sounds funky I know, but works, and is far easier to remove if you ever need to without hurting the rifle finish underneath.
Indeed Bill, we live in the 21st century. A good epoxy glue, used and applied with the utmost respect and following the instructions to the letter is (IMHO) better as whatever soldering. I know, I know ... professional gunsmiths overhere consider it as "the easiest solution". They are right of course, but ... it works! And it works well. For myself and a couple of friends I used epoxy on sights and mounts for a couple of decades now. So far nothing "fell off" and it will not! Ask your plumber, he doesn't work with the same ingredients of 50 years ago.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,903 Posts
Big commander, What epoxy do you use?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I was thinking about epoxy,but decided to use solder. I want to replace a missing front base on commercial mauser. It is quite similar to mauser in Senich's book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts