Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the pros on this fine forum, my dou. 44 has a milled rear band whose number does not match the balance of the rifle.

Question, should the rear band be stamped and un-numbered?

The front stamped band, receiver, trigger guard and sight leaf are "numbers matching"; the bolt group is a different number, but all components are "numbers matching"; no numbers in the stock channels; the rifle is not an RC and has no import marks.

Thanks to all; please let me know where I may locate a stamped, un-numbered rear band if that's the route to go.

all the best,
Ron

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,731 Posts
Your rear band would have been serial numbered originally if the front band is.

It's hard to say exactly which band is correct-- if you have a stamped front band, you could replace the rear with a stamped one and be ok. From the sound of it, the stock may have been replaced. This depends on the serial range-- dou rifles in 44 had stamped and milled bands throughout production, and stocks were serial numbered early, but not serialed late. More information is needed to be sure....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mrfarb,
the rifle serial number on all but the rear band (and bolt group) is #2439 C, the bolt group is #4627 G, with small eagle/823's on all bolt components

I hope this additional info is helpful...
Ron

·
Registered
285 Posts
On my DOU 43 I got milled front band SN (the "solid" front band kind, not the one with the "H" or 3 welds version) and STAMPED rear band with SN printed vertically ahead of the loop. All matching DOU43.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,731 Posts
This is a fairly early dou44, so it could have either stamped or milled rear band. Like sn1945 stated, the mixed bands can go either way all through dou production. Originally though, your stock and handguard should be serial numbered to the gun, and the rear band would be numbered like sn1945's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much...it sounds like it's been re-stocked...has a solid fit, all laminate, with the usual "battle scars and bruises" expected from a late war "good little German".

I greatly appreciate your comments and statements; this forum is SUPERIOR.

all the best!
Ron

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I've learned here, 1945 stocks usually didn't have serial numbers on the exterior and interior. So maybe it could've been a field repair done by the armory during the final days of the war? Rear band could've also been a field repair with the SN not crossed out and restamped to match. I mean after all, these were the final days of the war with the Russians only a few feet away. And if at this stage the stocks weren't even serialized, what would make you think that they would even spend time to cross out/restamp a replacement rear band? All just speculations about legit reasons to have these parts on your rifle.

Well anyways whether all matching or not, it's still NOT import marked and that's always a primo reason to keep it. Don't sell it or mess it up. In this day and age where rifles like these are now getting all sorts of "treatment" ranging from Russkie rearsenal "brutality," to new US import marking requirements, consider yourself one of the lucky ones to have an "unbutchered" German K98k rifle. Look at the new imports coming in. They got those deeper import marks ( I think a new requirement by the ATF?) and many recent imports even have that horrid DOT MATRIX SN stamped on the receiver!!! Why the duplicate dot matrix SN? In many cases they're the same SN and is just redundant and totally flushes any remaining "collectibility" down the crapper!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts