Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

A good friend called and said he had an "old rifle" he was given by his grandfather, who in turn received it from his brother who brought it home from WWII. I will pick it up this Friday.
Wanted to share some pictures, and ask what you think, good or bad.
Jim P.

Wood Tints and shades Audio equipment Font Close-up

Wood Bumper Font Gas Wood stain

Wood Cylinder Publication Pipe Office supplies

Wood Gas Tints and shades Natural material Metal

Musical instrument Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun

Wood Hand tool Hardwood Wood stain Trigger

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Agree with checking all numbers. Looks like you need a hand guard and a band spring from the looks of it. 1942 is first year of K98k production for dou (Slovakia) production.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Will any k98k handguard work, or should I look for one specific to this model?
Just a laminate k98k handguard. A walnut one will work, but it wont be correct. The bandspring you need is just the generic milled type. K98k length. The receiver and bolt look good to go, id take that thing apart and check the barrel channel for a serial. Bands, triggerguard, sight parts...etc. Should also have matching serial numbers aswell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do any of you ever use/ recommend Evaporust chemical rust remover?
Its great for parts that are going to be refinished, but do not use it on this rifle. At all. It will remove what finish it has left. Considering you have very little rust on the rifle, Bronze wool and oil is all that is needed. Its alittle time consuming, but well worth the time.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Its great for parts that are going to be refinished, but do not use it on this rifle. At all. It will remove what finish it has left. Considering you have very little rust on the rifle, Bronze wool and oil is all that is needed. Its alittle time consuming, but well worth the time.
This

Start with gun oil and an old toothbrush or other soft plastic brush. That usually removes most surface rust. Whatever it does not remove then gently use a brash brush and oil.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,323 Posts
Ditto Brasky, but I would insert a step with PB blaster for any stubborn areas before moving to the bronze/brass bush too.

Totally jealous...that's a nice rifle....even if the stock looks like it was sanded. Rough spots may be able to be boned to smoothe out without losing material or markings.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Post some more pics when you get it. The only thing I see that I'm curious about on the serial number is the letter suffix d, it isn't on the root of the bolt handle. I'm not an expert on this, but usually the letter suffix is on the bolt also. Maybe someone else can explain also on this.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The "rust" on things like the recoil lug and takedown disk look to me like remnants of varnish...Citrus paint/varnish remover would take care of this....What do the stock acceptance stamps look like?....Bodes

·
Registered
832 Posts
Post some more pics when you get it. The only thing I see that I'm curious about on the serial number is the letter suffix d, it isn't on the root of the bolt handle. I'm not an expert on this, but usually the letter suffix is on the bolt also. Maybe someone else can explain also on this.
The font does match that of the one on the bolt sleeve and safety however, so I would say it's okay...Bodes

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was saying there's no letter suffix on the bolt root. Usually the letter suffix is there also.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The font does match that of the one on the bolt sleeve and safety however, so I would say it's okay...Bodes
I just noticed that there was no letter suffix on the root of the bolt handle. I usually see a letter suffix there if the rifle has one.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I think dou bolts were an anomaly in that they for the most part left off the letter suffix on the bolt except for a brief period as I recall.
Correct. Only dou44 bolts between the p block and I think the bb block have the suffix. Bolt is good on this one.

Stock will have no acceptance, though it is early enough that it might be externally numbered. I don't remember when in 1942 dou stopped numbering stocks. It was very early I think.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts