Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up from a older gentleman who says his dad brought it back from ww2, I didn’t really overpay no matter what it is, and I don’t think I really plan on selling, I’m just interested in what I have here exactly. My understanding leads me to believe this came from Waffen Werke Brunn in 1944? The “X” under the 4 digit number on receiver leads me to believe it’s a RC from my own limited research, but is it odd that the bolt, barrel bands, safety, floor plate, etc are matching if it was a RC? came with a mismatched bayonet as well. An estimated value would be cool if anyone has a idea, but I’m more just interested in what I have. Let me know if you need any more info that could help with your guys’ databases or serial studies etc. Thanks!

Wood Tool Wood stain Musical instrument accessory Hardwood
Cylinder Wood Office equipment Gas Trigger
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Automotive exterior Gas
Brown Table Rectangle Wood Plank
Wood Artifact Cross Religious item Symbol
Gas Cylinder Font Natural material Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert on k98k's but I can tell you it is not a Russian capture. Wood finish looks like it might be original too.
Yeah I would like to believe it is not a RC, but the “X” just made me at the very least not get my hopes up about it being original. Thanks for the reply though!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks like an original white glue dot44 stock...Curious as to whether the handguard and buttstock are also 'dot' marked?....Some were, some were not....Buttstock should also be Eagle H stamped....Bodes

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Looks like a nice one! The x-block was the second block of production for 1944 since they rolled over with the letter blocks from 1943 and starting with w-block in 44. Estimated to be Jan. 44 production.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bayonets never matched.
If truly original, which this piece may be, It's worth a bit more than the figures mentioned.
Thanks for the reply, here’s some more pics close up of the bayonet if that helps at all. It’s really fun trying to figure these things out, I never knew how much of a story one of these could tell just by stampings, numbers, and condition. Really cool stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a nice one! The x-block was the second block of production for 1944 since they rolled over with the letter blocks from 1943 and starting with w-block in 44. Estimated to be Jan. 44 production.
Thanks for that info! I want to know what I’m talking about when showing friends and family this thing, I never realized how in depth you could see exactly when and where this came from. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like an original white glue dot44 stock...Curious as to whether the handguard and buttstock are also 'dot' marked?....Some were, some were not....Buttstock should also be Eagle H stamped....Bodes
thanks for the reply, and for the info! Yeah it does have a “dot” on the 12 o’clock of the hand guard, I didn’t see an eagle on the buttstock but I also may not have looked properly, or known what I was looking for haha.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.