Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I purchased this rifle from Southern Ohio Gun without first seeing it in person. I have dealt with SOG in the past and have had pretty good luck and no complaints. But when I received the rifle the first thing I noticed was no markings on the stock - except a '4' on the forend. Its a good looking rifle but, of course, I had to take it out of the stock to inspect the numbers... Well, to my disappointment the stock did NOT match the gun.

Even though it doesn't match (and if it was a war time replacement) shouldn't there be inspector's stamps on the side of the butt stock? The other little curiosity was the fact that there was no serial number on the receiver - but I THINK this is correct - then again, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I've included some pics so I'd appreciate some opinions on whether or not the rest of the rifle is correct. According to Backbone this gun exceeds the highest observed serial number for 4 digit serials with a 2 letter suffix. However, I've read here that even that book is not without it's flaws.

Any information is appreciated. Just please, don't reply "Turd" without stating some useful information as to why you believe this...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Stock and hand guard S/B dot marked. may or may not be drilled for cleaning rod. eagle H marked. approxmate manu date of the metal, 9/44.
two things. just my eye.
one.
is that an in-house barrel? wierd. looks BA which is austria? that caught my eye. please more barrel pics of code. complete 360. the tiny swasis are lined up (hard to do on a replacement) but seems a 'vendor' made barrel? just brainstorming.
two. memory. ive seen this serial number before. i forget where and when.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
metal looks good, wood is not as you have pointed out. I would expect a stamped follower, but your milled one isn't a game changer.

'tis an interesting barrel on a dot as so many were dot made (not this one as pointed out). Each "block" of guns near yours would have been numbered from single digit into 4-digits before the next alpha block was used. The numerical high number of yours is of no significance. As Sol has mentioned, dot 1944 all have an E/H stamped in the right side (but not dot 1943). Also, the wood is generally 'dot' stamped on both the keel and handguard (not always as we get this late and later), IMO.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,060 Posts
Why won't you just say what you paid for it.

Your question breaks down too: "Did I pay too much for this Mauser" so its hard to answer with out knowing..

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bob...

Bob,

I was thinking... I mean, how on earth could the bands, floor plate and trigger guard be saved but the stock be lost to time? I mean is it realistic to suppose it was changed out of necessity during war time - bad damage or something?

AND approximately how much does a mis-matched stock deduct from overall value? As I mentioned to another forum member - I paid an "all-matching" price.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why won't you just say what you paid for it.

Your question breaks down too: "Did I pay too much for this Mauser" so its hard to answer with out knowing..

$1,700.00. SOG described it as appearing in unissued condition. Although it is in fine condition I don't know if I would go as far as saying "unissued." It hasn't seen much use, though... The feed ramp looks hardly worn and the bore is pristine. It appears the bluing is original and there's hardly any wear evident on edges. The floor plate and trigger guard are about the only areas that show much wear.

Even at the steep price, I would have been thrilled if the stock had matched... The only other unquestionable matching K98s I have are 1.) a sporterized job I'm in the midst of restoring to an original configuration and 2.) Another that looks like it was dragged behind a tank for 10 miles.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,060 Posts
They need to take it back..

It is a very nice action and if priced right around $800 and without listing it as "un-issued/matching" I would say that would be on you, but in this case,
They need to take it back..

I'm in the works of listing the >exact< same gun with the blue in un-issued condition (better than this one) but with a matching stock. Stock also has been refinished but I was going to start at $1150 (includes original Cleaning rod).. just for reference..

Good luck..

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
Bob,

I was thinking... I mean, how on earth could the bands, floor plate and trigger guard be saved but the stock be lost to time? I mean is it realistic to suppose it was changed out of necessity during war time - bad damage or something?

AND approximately how much does a mis-matched stock deduct from overall value? As I mentioned to another forum member - I paid an "all-matching" price.
this happens very easily. vet or whoever loses front half of a duffel cut rifle, someone sporterizes the stock but keeps that bands etc. so then someone else buys another stock and throws it on there. it happens all the time, and no its not very realistice to think it was done war time. did they do it? yah. but this one in all likelihood isnt one. a stock mismatch hurts k98 value worse than a bolt mm in my opinion. it cuts the price roughly in half. i would not pay over $600 for this rifle.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dot 1944

Well, I sent SOG an email earlier today describing the mismatch. I hope they respond soon... If not, I'll pack it up and send it with a letter explaining the problem. I'll let everyone know this turns out. It seems even if you buy a K98 in person you need to have your screwdriver set handy to give it the full inspection!

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol - yes, it was!
I can't believe this--I was looking at that very ad before I purchased a different k98 recently. I had actually been wondering whether I made a mistake in not buying the one you did instead. SOG definitely needs to take it back. I've only purchased one firearm from them so far but was very pleased and planned to patronize them again if they have something of interest in the future. Make sure you post the outcome, or PM me. If they don't make this right for you I want to be sure to avoid doing any future business with them, and I will tell them so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.