Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at posting or enven taking digital pics. All I used was natural sunlight I have had this gun for 10 years or so and I fell it to be original, but have never seen or heard of a 98K fully phosphated, although there were P38's and 98K bayonets finished in this manner Gun is totally matching and non-import marked. I am interested in all comments or opinions and I am NOT FISHING The gun is not for sale, I am only interested in it's originality Thanks Here goes ....... RETREAD

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
The gun has been refinished in the past. DOT 1944 guns in the double letter suffix were made prior to the introduction of any phosphate finish, with the earliest appearance of phosphate in the 80,000 no letter range, and that is just on a follower.

A few points- the finish is even and one color, almost looks Israeli- all the German phosphate is blotchy and thin, with different parts a different color most times. Also, that one is too green. The biggest givaway (other than the fact there were no all phosphate dot rifles) is the fact that EVERYTHING is phosphate, even the bayonet lug and recoil lug. It looks like a nice rifle, but not original. I'm sure you could find someone who thought it was original- there are plenty of inexperienced collectors that might (not saying you are selling, just if you sold it).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They even phosphated the cleaning rod! I'm sure the follower spring probably is as well,heh. Somebody had too much time,and Phospho on their hands.....

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Sad thing is it looked to be in decent shape before being re-done.....even with no original bluing left it would be worth more as it was, than as it is. Not trying to knock your rifle....just being blunt honest. It looks nice, and will sell well probably if you did, but collectors wise it is shot.

But one thing for sure....the new finish is really durable. I saw a chinese tokarev pistol that was parkerized like this for use as a carry gun, and the owner had lost it outdoors, and found it about a year later. No rust on any of the parked parts after a year laying on the ground!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phosphate 98k

As I mentioned, the gun has been in the safe about 10 years and the price paid is a 10 year ago price. Does any one know if Mil Tec or Mitchells was doing this to guns in this manner?? It looks awfully production like, and well beyond my humble ability to re finish a gun, even if I had the tanks and chemicals. Another "Whattheheckisit???" for collectors to ponder after we are gone. Many thanks to all for their knowledge and replies. RETREAD

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
...Does any one know if Mil Tec or Mitchells was doing this to guns in this manner?? It looks awfully production like, and well beyond my humble ability to re finish a gun, even if I had the tanks and chemicals. Another "Whattheheckisit???" for collectors to ponder after we are gone. Many thanks to all for their knowledge and replies. RETREAD
Not Mitchells.....not sure if miltech ever did any parked. Even though it looks well done, and awfully production like as you say.... it is actually a fairly simple process to do and is fairly easy with a few simple tools. Far easier to do than bluing. So it could easily be a home shop project.

There used to be a guy in Southern indiana or near there abouts that used to do some rifles up like this....he set up at the Indianapolis shows sometimes.....would park them, clean up the stocks and sell them at shows....he did it kind of as a hobby.....yours makes me think of some of his work....especially seeing all the small parts like the rod done....he did that sort of thing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phosphate 98K

iT IS A CONSTANTLY AMAZING HOBBY, WITH NOT ONLY OFFICIAL VARIATIONS SHOWING UP ON MILITARY ARMS, BUT THE THOUSANDS OF HOBBYISTS LOOKING TO IMPROVE OR ENHANCE OR DUPE PEOPLE INTO BUYING SOME THING. AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE LITTLE INTO THE GUN AND WILL KEEP IT. IT IS SO FRESH THAT IT IS A PLEASURE TO BEHOLD, ORIGINAL OR NOT THANKS AGAIN RETREAD

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,687 Posts
I agree RETREAD- it's a neat looking gun. If I owned it, I would keep it too. I collect original guns, but one that speaks to you is worth keeping regardless of condition or originality. Guns like that one are ones you keep around for the what if factor....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts