Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......it was soooo cheap I had to get one. I want to turn this into a display gun, with a dummy barrel to go with my WP collection. The kit is running $120 with shipping, and I'm getting a dummy receiver on sale from S.G. for around $29. This is a Romo kit. Cheaper than going through the hassle of building a real gun, which is still an option of later. Does anyone know of sources for DDR stock parts? Not that I'll get but am thinking about. I just wanted something to dosplay with my other stuff and this isn't getting any cheaper. The Romo kit was the cheapest out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know that sportsman's guide has the stock sets for like 40 bucks...I think they might even have the folding ones as well...but not too sure.
Need any cleaning kits or ammo pouches?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the AK kit from Cope's. Decided to hold off on the DDR stock but got the dummy receiver. I'm going to think over the stock set, as the kit from Cope's has the Romo stock already. I decided to get one of the Polish air pistols instead. They only have 38 left [mine was #39]. I already had a Romanian bayonet and the kits that Cope's had were Romo also. It said the kit came without a cleaning rod. Is that the rod under the barrel or what? :confused:I figure these must be floating around somewhere. Cope's had the best price for kits, when combined with shipping. I figure that when thse dry up that'll be it. I already saw the price on dummy Sten guns go way up. The problem I have in Md. is that you can't have mags. larger than 20 rounds. That eliminates some guns right there, even if a dummy, unless it's without a mag.. I have a source on 20 round Hungarian and some 10 round mag. shells without the guts [this is a display piece]. A gun shop in the area has had some dewat Mg's that were not cheap. I figured that I could at least get a kit before they went out of sight and assemble with a dummy receiver. S.G. has these going for around $29.95, but SG sent me something with a limited Buyer's Club membership through the end of the month. That saves me about $3.00 on one. By the way, the $29.95 price is just through the end of the year, then they go up $10.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, at least in Md. you can have a 20 round mag....here in CA. you're screwed...10 rounds is the max. Don't even think about trying to deal with a hollow kag for display purposes...You can't import the parts...so any bit that is associated with a high capacity magazine...is a no no.
It's funny that when there was a huge Gun store across from my high school...of course this was 1989 and very pre-ban...they had AKs and other great weapons on the cheap...We actually used to walk across the street during lunch to look at guns...of course had I known then that the state would have gone apeshit with banning these gems, I'd have bought wuite a few...especially when Aks were going for like 150 bucks...and were near new. Oh well.
boo hoo

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at least in Md. you can have a 20 round mag....here in CA. you're screwed...10 rounds is the max. Don't even think about trying to deal with a hollow kag for display purposes...You can't import the parts...so any bit that is associated with a high capacity magazine...is a no no.
It's funny that when there was a huge Gun store across from my high school...of course this was 1989 and very pre-ban...they had AKs and other great weapons on the cheap...We actually used to walk across the street during lunch to look at guns...of course had I known then that the state would have gone apeshit with banning these gems, I'd have bought wuite a few...especially when Aks were going for like 150 bucks...and were near new. Oh well.
boo hoo
There has been similar talk here in Md., which is why I'm building this as a dummy display piece. I'm erring on the side of caution here. Actually, with shipping this will probably run about $113 for the kit, and $26.95 for the dummy receiver. If you look on the AK forum I posted something on some cases of AK's being used in shootouts with Police in Miami. Life starting to imitate Hollywood ["Scarface"] here, finally. From another post it appears that [Cuban] organized crime down there has entered the gunbuilding business, with at least one underground factory. This sort of thing is going to impact the legitimate functional AK owners in the long haul, I fear. I'm going to fix mine up as a Romo AK and probably leave it that way, since I collect other WP stuff. I was curious about the Polish air pistol. I could buy one for about what a DDR stock would run, and as they had only a few left I figured I'd get one. These I can shoot in the back yard, at least, with a back-stop.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rather than a dummy AK, why not just build a working model ?
My concern is that the new Governor will sign in Kalifornia style Assualt Weapon legislation in the future. If it's a non-functioning dummy it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Romy Parts kit arrived

It came late yesterday and I have only had a chance to glance at this for a few minutes. I should be getting the dummy receiver either today or early next week.

The big question I have now is how to remove parts from the cut-up receiver that are still on the stock/gun. These are rivetted on. Should I grind, drill or what? Some of you that have had to deal with this tell me how you did it.

It looks like the kit has some nice laminated wood, which is why I'm probably going to do this one up as it is. I'd almost be tempted to get another kit later and fix it with a DDR stock, but for now I need to deal with what I have. It has a nice barrel and hardware. I just need to get the unsalvageable junk of the old receiver off and get this cleaned-up and put together again. SG has the dummy receivers now for $29.95. I was sent a limited time Buyer's Club membership which allowed me to get one for $26.95, which is why I took the plunge. Others sell the same dummy recv. for $39.95, and SG is going to that price at the end of the year. The kit I got was dated 1978 with Romy stampings. Does anyone know the history behind these, the ones with the front pistol grip? I've looked all over the web and what I've turned up has very little info. on the military models, but a lot on the commercial guns. I gather this model may have gone into production around 1975, but not much more. Nothing like the stuff you can find about the history of the Mosin. As a matter of fact, the sites I've seen are almost like, say, "How to sporterize your Mosin", by contrast, telling about all sorts of aftermarket things you can install. It would be about like having this forum dedicated to how you can turn that Stasi uniform you bought into something more "stylish" by altering it, removing the cuff band, etc.. Bubbaizing your collection.

I am going to see about getting some photos of the gun before and after, but since I have a film camera it may be a week or so before I'll have these to post.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

I have a Dremel tool clone that can probably do a lot of this. It even has a mini-drill press set-up. I'm glad I got this last year. Have had many times to use it since. This has a variety of grinding attachments.

R

·
0 Posts
*Screams* Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Come on guys Romy kits??? Man, I've been collecting East German AK parts for a bit now. Talk about a pain in the ass (but rewarding). If you look hard enough you can find receiver covers, bolts, bolt carriers, gas pistons, sights, hammers, trunions (yes trunions), etc... Regretfully, it will take a bit before I can build mine as some parts are hard to find right now. I am also going to conceid the fact that I won't be able to use an East GErm,an barrel (be3cause I'll never find one that isn't cut up). BTW, Sportsmans Guide's EG folding kit comes in the wrap with the packaging papers and has more than just the stock, it has all the hardware too. HEres a pic of the trunions that are findable.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's just it, -some- of the parts are available, but barrels seem to be made of unobtanium these days, just as the EG parts kits are these days. So for now, Romy kits are about as close as they can get these days. Unfortunate, but a necesary evil.

R

·
0 Posts
Actually the parts are available through common vendors. For example. I have accumulated the following East German parts for my MPi-KMS-72:

Complete Bolt
Bolt Carrier
Gas Piston
Recoil Spring Assembly
Receiver Cover
Stock
Pistol Grip
Gas Tube with Upper Handguard
Lower Handguard
Trunion
Gas BLock
Complete Front Sight
Lower Handguard Retainer
Trigger
Hammer
Hammer Spring
Muzzle Nut
Muzzle Slant Brake
Complete Rear Sight
Night Sights
Mag Release Assembly

That's alot of stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't even think about trying to deal with a hollow kag for display purposes...You can't import the parts...so any bit that is associated with a high capacity magazine...is a no no.
WRONG. You can buy and import all the PARTS you want to repair your pre-ban mags, in fact many places WILL sell you complete rebuild kits for many standard (i.e. 30 round) mags. If you're stuck in Komiefornia you should check out calguns.net, tons of good info, you might be surprised at what you can do in CA these days . . . (Hope it's okay Mods to plug another site in the interest of helping someone caught in a commie state :) )

·
Registered
774 Posts
Actually the parts are available through common vendors. For example. I have accumulated the following East German parts for my MPi-KMS-72:

Complete Bolt
Bolt Carrier
Gas Piston
Recoil Spring Assembly
Receiver Cover
Stock
Pistol Grip
Gas Tube with Upper Handguard
Lower Handguard
Trunion
Gas BLock
Complete Front Sight
Lower Handguard Retainer
Trigger
Hammer
Hammer Spring
Muzzle Nut
Muzzle Slant Brake
Complete Rear Sight
Night Sights
Mag Release Assembly

That's alot of stuff.

Great selection, but do any of them have matching numbers?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts