Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently messing around at a local pet store and noticed the elk horn bits they sell as dog chews i was taken by the thought of an experiment. I recently acquired a Romanian Tokarev and was wanting some different grips than the plastic issued ones. So for giggles I purchased two pieces that seemed large and flat enough and went immediately to the belt sander in my shop. An afternoon of shaping and sanding (btw fingernail boards like your wife or girl has, dont let her know you took them, are great for this kind of work) and the grips were done. i attached the grips with two part apoxy to 20 gage sheet metal shaped to the magazine well opening and riveted with cross braces made like the originals. i used steel rivets and inletted the back of the grips for the heads (they pivot nice and tight like the originals). I sealed and polished the grips with 1000 grit emery and several coats of guitar polish. This gives them a nice shine and smooths out and fills any of the poors from the pith of the antler. The feel is great and am happy with my $18.00 grips. I did regrind and finish that ugly safety and finish it with oxpho from Brownells. Now i have that Jim Browning era look i wanted.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,655 Posts
Recently messing around at a local pet store and noticed the elk horn bits they sell as dog chews i was taken by the thought of an experiment. I recently acquired a Romanian Tokarev and was wanting some different grips than the plastic issued ones. So for giggles I purchased two pieces that seemed large and flat enough and went immediately to the belt sander in my shop. An afternoon of shaping and sanding (btw fingernail boards like your wife or girl has, dont let her know you took them, are great for this kind of work) and the grips were done. i attached the grips with two part apoxy to 20 gage sheet metal shaped to the magazine well opening and riveted with cross braces made like the originals. i used steel rivets and inletted the back of the grips for the heads (they pivot nice and tight like the originals). I sealed and polished the grips with 1000 grit emery and several coats of guitar polish. This gives them a nice shine and smooths out and fills any of the poors from the pith of the antler. The feel is great and am happy with my $18.00 grips. I did regrind and finish that ugly safety and finish it with oxpho from Brownells. Now i have that Jim Browning era look i wanted.
Now that is an idea worth folowing up on. Will have to stop by Pet-Smart and see what they have. Don't want them for my Vietnam bring-back TT-33, but I've got a couple of other autos that might benefit from such things.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,738 Posts
good no great idea....food for thought on projects to come!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts