Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in PA, a CCW licenses the act of carrying. I had a chat last week with a New York resident and he advised me he could only carry the arms listed on his CCW Permit card.

I am no expert on other states' rules on what arms are covered by a Carry Permit. I am encouraged by the fact we now have 10 states with Constitutional Carry, ala PAPERLESS (No Permit Card Required) for honest folks to carry a concealed handgun. The crime rate continues to go down because the Bad Guys are armed, but not so sure of their intended victims! What could be more fair?

The states of NJ, NY, MA, CT, and RI have very restrictive CCW permit laws. On the other hand, Vermont has always been Constitutional carry and has not ever had a permit process. Logically, the Vermont law says, "An honest person may carry a handgun loaded and concealed so long as it is not carried with criminal intent." NOW what could be more logical? I used to work federal cases in Vermont and I can tell you that criminals who carry concealed handguns and are caught go straight to prison!

It is time for the U.S. to go Paperless for the honest CCW citizens since any criminal who wants to carry a handgun will do so without a Permit in MA or any other anti-gun state.

Webley One

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,090 Posts
no issues here, at least not now,
get the permit and carry,
no licensing of any handgun etc,

however,

on my 1st permit, before Va went shall issue, (had to prove a need) you had to list, by serial number, what you were carrying,
2nd renewal (still prove a need) you had to let them know what caliber you were carrying, and you had to carry a handgun in that caliber,
no getting a permit for 22lr and carrying a 44 mag,,
and they did not want any serial numbers,

3rd renewal and until today, all that went away,

I aquired my first permit in about 1987 or so, if that matters

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Kansas,, Carrying.

Carry whatever you want, weapon not specified, calibers not specified, no requests for serial numbers of anything for anything.

When Shall Issue first passed, you had to have license in possession to carry.
After we also passed Unlicensed Carry, while you need the license if you want other-state reciprocity, that license does not need to be in possession if carrying in state.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
Tejas licenses the carrier. Initially, you had to take your test and if you took it with an auto (9mmP minimum IIRC), could carry an auto or revolver. Test with a revolver (.38 Spl minimum IIRC) could carry only revolvers. Now take the shooting test (not sure of the current minimum or even if there is one) and can thereafter carry what you will.

·
Gold Bullet Member
287 Posts
I have had a concealed weapons permit in Washington State since the early 1970s. No weapons list or proficiency test was or is required, only a background check. Easy to acquire and maintain in my state. Tom

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Michigan has a CCP, carry concealed pistol. If you follow the letter of Websters definition, that means you cannot carry a revolver...

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
Wva....I took class from a NRA instructor more than 25 years ago.
Pistol or revolver.....indicated....written on permit ...no shotguns or rifles.
Doesn't indicate legal knives or others things to be hidden for defense?
Photo ID on permit. Newest change....letting you buy a gun with out the called in background check.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
In Florida we have a concealed weapons permit...

Florida Statutes:

790(06)

(1) For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
MA is not as bad as you've heard.

Getting the license is expensive and time-consuming, and there are restrictions in a few towns. But it's only a very few. Once you jump through the hoops to get the unrestricted LTC, they stop bothering you so much. You can buy what you want (not everything is available new in MA, true) and carry it in whatever prudent way you wish, everywhere except schools and federal property.

The NY rubbish about only carrying what's on your license is, thankfully, not something we need to deal with

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
The Ks. license is CCH, Concealed Carry Handgun, which specifically makes it NOT CCK (knife) or CCLG (long gun), it is for handgun only.

Ks has spent the last 6 yrs or so moving toward concealed carrying pretty much everywhere except courts, jail/prison, and the gov's mansion.

Colleges are screaming trying to reverse this (for them to legally bar carry they must install security, screening systems, and gun storage lockers for carriers entering a building).
Govt buildings (local, county, AND state) have the same rules to forbid carry, must install security measures.

There was a fairly lengthy stupid list when Shall Issue was first passed, but it was basically to get support for the carry laws passed at first. Every dam rep and senator seemed to want SOMEPLACE off-limits.
At the time, there was also a penalty (citation) for carrying past the "gunbuster" sign that meant 'no gun carry here'. That penalty went away several years ago. Now the only 'penalty' is if you are dumb enough to earn yourself a Treaspass charge by the po-po.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Illinois (only after forced to) is a license to carry. Not restricted to a specific handgun. Not sure but I don't think it even restricts you to one at a time.
Gary
Someday they'll be forced to let you have somewhere to shoot as well. Kids too. ;)

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Arizona has what is called Constitutional Carry: http://www.azcdl.org/html/legislation.html#sb1108

SB 1108 - The AzCDL-requested “Constitutional Carry” bill, which restored the fundamental right of law-abiding adults to carry weapons, openly or discreetly, without first seeking written permission from the government.
In essence, SB 1108 removed the prohibition and penalties for adults (21 and over) who are discreetly carrying a firearm or other weapon without a CCW permit. It also eliminated the “weapons misconduct” language dealing
with open and vehicle carry that has been clouded since 1994 by Appellate Court rulings. The CCW permit became optional. The new law also expanded the training opportunities that qualify for obtaining an Arizona CCW permit.

Having the CCW Permit has certain advantages that you do not have with Constitutional Carry.

...can carry concealed weapons into Bars and Restaurants that serve alcohol, so long as they do not drink and the establishment doesn't prohibit entry with a firearm

...can carry concealed weapons through Federal Gun Free School Zones

...can carry in many other states and National Parks (currently 34 states, see state-to-state reciprocity)

...are exempt from the NICS background check anytime they purchase a gun from licensed gun dealer

grey

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ohio checking in. I took the class in the first month that concealed carry was approved in Ohio. I believe it was in 2004 but if not it was right around there. The class was 2 full days and very in depth. After getting the permit where and how you could carry was very redistricted especially in a vehicle but not what weapon you could carry. Today thankfully almost all those silly restrictions have been removed.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
If more Open and Constitutional Carry folks paid more attention to that Fed. GFSZ law, there'd be more pressure bearing to remove that useless (but dangerous) thing.

A License in your own state clears you to get close to or on school property, but even that is useless in another state you are not resident of.

When you map out all the locations of "school property" in a town or city, you find a major minefield.
The small farmtown I live near (rural) has 1 school, and the town is small enough that at least 1/2 the town falls within 1,000ft radius of the school.
Wichita Ks. is a massive gun-carry minefield w/o the license.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
Alabama had a county licensing scheme that required model and serial number on the wallet card. That went away in the early 70's.
There is a bill moving in the state house to go to constitutional carry, with the state license still available for those that need it for reciprocity needs.
Good move.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
That would be nice and probably the only way it will happen.
Right now instead of worrying about a budget the legislature is pushing for a state holiday for Obama.
Well Yea,,, gotta take care of the IMPORTANT stuff, the rest is minor crap that can wait.................

Besides, they are busy trying to figure out how to draft another unconstitutional law, those are harder to write than regular "common-sensical" laws.

Good luck NY50/70. :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.