·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
My opinion is it has been sporterized so you would need a 01FFL to transfer. Wait and see if others have a different opinion. ATF say as long as in original form still is C&R. tHe only changes could be a military stock to military stock change not a sporter stock. JMHO.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By what I am reading, it sounds like if the original stock has not been completely changed out, or receiver altered/rechambered, it is a C&R- and any minor mods such as done to this gun, were done at least 50+ years ago. In that case it would be C&R

it even still has the ZF41 sniper scope rail on it

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
As this is a current auction, and you are the seller, this will probably be pulled. I have delt in post war cigarette guns before, and I doubt this is one. The workmanship is just not there. The bolt, sight, and chekering is just crude, probably done by a Bubba with noting else to do in the 1950's. This is more of a spare "truck gun" or as I call it a "brother-in-law loaner." Depending on the chamber date, which you don't show, it will probably still fly as a C&R. But...., I wouldn't want to be the one to gaurentee that. Usually sporterized guns become modern. Good Luck with your listing. Skid

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it gets pulled, oh well....such is the price of progress I guess. I like the "brother in law loaner"- I have a "nephew loaner" camo spray painted, cut stock, camotaped on recoil pad 303 British SMLE No.4 Mk1 They ask to borrow a gun, say yes and loan it to them- the look on their face is regret for asking to borrow it. That's the kind of gun you lend out. (smirk)

this Mauser is another story- it has a tighter chamber, action than any of the 10+ M98's I've owned, and it's a tack driver. All numbers match except the magazine floor plate. This I actually would NOT loan out.

according to previous experts, it's a 1943-44 gun wartime production

this was not done in the USA- if it was a bubba, it was a Euro bubba

·
Registered
753 Posts
It would be nice if you would delete the text in your threads instead of waiting for a moderator to do so. You clearly have no interest in anyone's opinion except your own and are just using this thread to shill your auction. For what it's worth, you have the right keywords in your auction for the collectors here to find it.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dieterk- If you can't post on topic, then don't post at all on this thread-I have a guy asking me to ship this gun to him as a C&R, and I don't want a BATF violation- that's all. So instead of trying to nuke the thread, why don't you post something informative or useful ? I'm not trying to shill anything. Get a reality check. I have no trouble selling my old guns when need be, to enhance my collection- and as a lifetime NRA member the thought of shilling anything is repulsive to me. You are hijacking the thread and stirring up trouble, perhaps you should take a look in the mirror at your own post, to delete ?

explain this email TODAY- who are you to go around moderating a thread, when you're not a moderator here ?

are you even an American ?

----- Original Message ----- Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:08 AM
Subject: Question regarding GunBroker.com Item 170291661

>A message has been sent to you by a user of GunBroker.com, please scroll
> down to the MESSAGE FROM USER section below to read the text.
> THE "FROM" NAME ON THIS EMAIL IS THE SENDING USER'S GUNBROKER.COM USERNAME.
> REGARDING ITEM: 170291661 MAUSER K98 SNIPER CIGARETTE GUN w/ZF41 SCOPE
> MOUNT
> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170291661
>
> --- begin message ---
>
> Sir, Per BATF regulations, I think this rifle qualifies for a CRFFL because
> of its age (50 years or more), regardless of the fact it has been
> sporterizied.
>
> Please reconsider your acceptance of a CRFFL.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dieterk- put this one in your pipe and smoke it a while, too- I don't need or use "shills" to sell my personal gun collection. Pa. USA has the largest NRA membership of any state in the entire USA, we sell our own guns here just fine- unlike some other states I heard of elsewhere- and other countries as well. I deleted 3 of the ongoing email debates over this C&R issue, and came here looking for valid opinions. Interestingly enough, you had none yourself of any use.

----- Original Message -----Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Question regarding GunBroker.com Item 170291661

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> However, the BATF recognizes ANY 50+ year old pistol or rifle as CR
> qualified even if it has been modified/sporterized.
>
> I'll try to find the pertinent regulation for you.
>
> Regards,
>

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
From the ATF website;

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

a.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
b.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
c.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

So a firearm needs to satisfy only one of the above. There is no stipulation that a 50 year old fiream be original.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
From the ATF website;

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

a.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
b.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
c.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

So a firearm needs to satisfy only one of the above. There is no stipulation that a 50 year old fiream be original.

IMHO You forgot also from web site the next paragraph

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) for a formal classification.

This one does not appear in it's original configuration.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm sorry I've offended you. I should have just asked you to review the forum rules, in particular this one:

6) Do not post of ongoing auctions. You may post when auctions are completed but no mention or promoting of auction items is allowed.

There is a sticky on the forum with all the rules. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts