Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Original matching and unfired '43 or '44 Mosins?? Couple of crates?? Those two years were relatively quiet and uneventful for the USSR, no need for rifles, just put them in the storage, Comrade.
Sounds crazy but it's true. A number of them have been posted here over the years.

·
Registered
603 Posts
OK, but my question was about the matching bayonet . Most I've seen are electro penciled . It seems impossible that a gun came with it's matching numbered bayonet .
I actually had a number of them “fully matched.” They used to come that way from sellers for a premium….when the crate was opened, they actually looked through it and found a matching bayonet before sending you the rifle

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yep, it's a refurb that still has its refurb matched bayonet. Bayonets with refurb stamped matched numbers aren't really uncommon, but a lot of them did get separated from the matched rifle after import, as a lof of importers/retailers were too lazy to bother keeping them together.
Yep. Didn’t we have a post here on GB where people would post their bayonets and rifle numbers to see if there were matches?

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,025 Posts
The refurbed rifles that were coming in by the crate were stamped matching with matching bayonets. The retailers didn't give a rat's butt about keeping them together, so they'd grab you a rifle and pick a random bayonet out of the box. Gander mountain was notorious for selling you a rifle with NO bayonet or accessories, even though they had them. The salespeople didn't want to have to bother with the greasy accessories. They were getting theirs from Century back then when they were $99 or so. Same with Big5 and several other hardware-store type retailers that used to carry the M91-30's and M-38/M-44 carbines. Occasionally you'd fine an M91/59 in the mix if you were lucky. I miss my early days of collecting when everything was plentiful and affordable.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,025 Posts
Coming in by the crates? Truly factory original matching with bayonets? I must've missed that. If you can, post one up. I would love to see an original rough receiver Mosin.
The ones I'm referring to were not factory originals, but factory REFURBISHED rifles. If crates of factory original rifles were being imported, that was long before MY time of collecting. I started late. The refurbs were stamped matching during the reworks. In some cases the bayonets don't even fit the rifles even though the numbers match. The electropenciled matching rifles were done later to save time and cost. When I first started collecting Mosin-Nagant rifles in the late 1990's not a SINGLE one of them was electropenciled. I didn't start seeing those until years later, and generally avoided them. I only have one or two Mosin-Nagants with any EP'd parts, and only bought them because a stamped numbered example hasn't been available. I'm still looking to upgrade my 1944 Tula M-44 to a stamped matching example. I used to have 4 of them stamped matching, but parted with all of them over the years, regrettably. The bolt and buttplate are EP'd matching.

The prospect of a factory original, unissued rifle has little appeal to me personally other than as an example of a pristine rifle. I prefer rifles that were issued and used during times of conflict. Just my personal preference.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,539 Posts
Sometime in the early 2000's (maybe 2002-2003) Aztec Arms out of Florida had crates of refurbished 91/30s with stamped matching bayonets. It was recognized that these bayos were stamped during the refurb process, then packed in the same 20-rifle crates. I still have a couple of them. They were initially $49 or $59, IIRC.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,813 Posts
Coming in by the crates? Truly factory original matching with bayonets? I must've missed that. If you can, post one up. I would love to see an original rough receiver Mosin.
Cole's (who were located in Scottsville, KY) had quite a few factory matching (often including bayonet) 91/30s back in the day. I have several of them, some with and some without matching bayonet.

Though the majority of factory matching with factory matching bayonet 91/30s seen in the US came in through Cole's, not all of them did. I stumbled upon two at a shop where I'd gone to pick up a Gunbroker purchase a few years ago (Century imports IIRC), and I've lucked into at least one on Gunbroker over the years.

Here's what a factory matching midwar Izhevsk bayonet looks like:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks to all that added history of who had rearsenaled matching bayonet rifles. I find it especially interesting about the intact non rearsenaled crates from Mr Cole : "Gary Cole is the only person I ever knew who actually imported a couple of crates of original matching rifles with their original matching bayonets. I had ten of them at one time, all ‘43-‘44 Izhevsk rifles. I sold all of them to members on this forum. They were all museum quality rifles, likely unfired."
Does anyone have more history about these or maybe a photo of a rifle from this lot????
This is a very interesting post.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,813 Posts
Thanks to all that added history of who had rearsenaled matching bayonet rifles. I find it especially interesting about the intact non rearsenaled crates from Mr Cole : "Gary Cole is the only person I ever knew who actually imported a couple of crates of original matching rifles with their original matching bayonets. I had ten of them at one time, all ‘43-‘44 Izhevsk rifles. I sold all of them to members on this forum. They were all museum quality rifles, likely unfired."
Does anyone have more history about these or maybe a photo of a rifle from this lot????
This is a very interesting post.
The rifle in my post immediately above is a Cole's.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you Ol Relic. So on your rifle all serial numbers have a Russian prefix BB ---- ? All matching Izzy parts?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,813 Posts
Thank you Ol Relic. So on your rifle all serial numbers have a Russian prefix BB ---- ? All matching Izzy parts?
Yes, but having the letter prefixes on all parts isn't necessarily (or even usually) proof that a 91/30 is factory matching.

On a factory matching '42 or '43 Izhevsk infantry rifle, the bolt body and floorplate will have a very rough finish, and on any factory matching 91/30, the letter font of all the parts on a factory matching example will exactly match the font on the barrel (with the sole exception of the magazine serial on mid to late war Tulas with stamped floorplates, on which the floorplate will be in a smaller font than the rest of the parts).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought most of my M91/30s from Aztec International back in the early 2000's. They all came with stamped matching bayonets. Some are ground & restamped while others show no signs of grinding and have a matching font. They came in the crates with matching bayonets from Ukraine. Aztec took the time to actually make sure the right bayonet went with the right rifle. I bought 12 total. All had stamped matched bayonets. If I could go back I would buy twice that many at least! They were $59 hand picked plus shipping at that time.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sure does look like an original factory Izhevsk, Ol'Relic. Bayonet too. Excellent photos as well. Would you mind posting the rest of the rifle? Top, bottom, rear/front sight etc. Make a little photo gallery for us. I don't think that I've ever seen an all original factory matching mid-war MN. This one I would LOVE to have in my collection. A true piece of History you have there, Sir.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,813 Posts
Sure does look like an original factory Izhevsk, Ol'Relic. Bayonet too. Excellent photos as well. Would you mind posting the rest of the rifle? Top, bottom, rear/front sight etc. Make a little photo gallery for us. I don't think that I've ever seen an all original factory matching mid-war MN. This one I would LOVE to have in my collection. A true piece of History you have there, Sir.
I disagree on the photo quality: I actually felt that the batch of photos I made of this one (and its "twin" which I bought at the same time) didn't turn out well. I'll try to get a few shots sometime tomorrow.

On the subject of midwar factory matching 91/30s, they're kinda my "niche". 1943 Izhevsks, while not exactly common, are by far the easiest factory matching 91/30 to find. I have too many of them, truth be told. :sneaky: One can occasionally run across a factory matching '44, but a factory matching '42 is a very tough find. The only fully factory matching '42 that I have is a light refurb.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When I was into Mosins (many moons ago), I concentrated mostly on Finn variants, but always wanted to have a rough mid-war original all matching rifle. It just shows how desperate Russians were during that time. But even more interesting thing, it shows all the machining steps that took place, something that cannot be seen otherwise. Closest thing I had was a light refurb '43 or '44 Izhevsk (can't remember exactly) and that was one of the best and most accurate MN I've ever shot. Smooth, reliable, never rimlocked on anything. I accurized it as per Yur'ev's book, shims, barrel diaper and all the good stuff, so it shot like a laser. Kind of miss that ugly thing now...

·
Registered
528 Posts
A second to that idea!
Yes, please , please, how about a new post with written information and the attributes of mid war Mosins and photos of the parts, markings, stock finish, and any special attributes on such a jewel. I have never seen one. A total photo documentation. I would love to post the link on SRF. Or post it on both forums:)
Heck, if you got the time maybe 2 different examples.🙏

21 - 38 of 38 Posts