Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
well, the top of the receiver doesn't look like it's been grounded or otherwise show any indications that it was scrubbed and re-stamped with another SN, so I would say that's legit. it's unusually not to find Cyrillic prefix..........but then I never saw every fricken N-N that was ever made

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but my question was about the matching bayonet . Most I've seen are electro penciled . It seems impossible that a gun came with it's matching numbered bayonet .

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
so that's what that is..... yeah, never seen them stamped.......then again I haven't seen every M-N bayonet that was ever made, but I suppose it very well might be legit as well

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The font of the numbers looks the same as the gun. I just have never seen that .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't think the font on the barrel matches the font on the bayonet and bolt, bolt and bayonet do match each other though. Look at the 9 and the 8's, they are different. The bolt body and bayonet were likely stamped at the same time during post war refurbishment and then placed in long term storage in those crates we all miss so much.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Back many moons ago an import company got a room full of wood cases that had Mosin 91/30 rebuilt, import marked rifles( 20 per case) and in the case the bayonet numbers actually matched the rifles. I remember these were stamped serial numbered bayonets, there was also a ammo pouch, sling, and cleaning kit that came with each rifle. The store that got the crates was called Gun World in Menomonee Falls Wi.- a trial version of a Gander Mountain that mainly had guns no clothing and other sporting junk. They also obtained one wood crate of Mosin snipers and sold the empty wood boxes to people to make tables out of. I never got any common Mosins with a matching bayonet because they cost like $160 when Fleet & Farm had rifles for $99 with a Century import mark on the barrel, just that the bayonet in the box did not match. So there should be more than a few Mosin 91/30 rifles that have matching bayonets. I picked up an all matching, Tula hex, exsniper, decommissioned rifle and no longer remember the import mark. It cost $200-twice what a common Mosin went for.

So its a great find and I no longer remember who had the crates. Candyman on SRF took a pickup truck and filled it 3 high of full crates from the importer. That post is long gone due to an SRF crash where all forum posts were lost. He had pictures of the rifles in the crates- a mix of hex & round receivers and makers. We always wanted Tulas.
So the rifle & matching bayonet is for real. What is the import mark on the barrel?? It was so long ago , rifles I am talking about had the import mark on the barrel, not the receiver. Maybe Classic??? the old classic prior to its sale? Or SOG??
2.jpg

·
Registered
539 Posts
I looked up my sniper rifle, it was 2010 Jan - Gander Mt and they had "PW Arms Richmond WA" import marks on the barrel. With tax it was $200. That is when the store around the block F&F had Mosins for $99, but no decommissioned snipers.

I assume the normal 91/30s at Gander with matching bayonets at $160 also had a similar mark? My book notes indicate my sniper rifle did not have a garbage package nor bayonet- just the rifle. I was there when the store guy was taking the rifles out of the box and putting them on the rack. I got the best of the batch- a lucky day. Back at that time I was Tula"hex" nuts. I gave a squat about a bayonet- they were a dime a dozen- like tent pegs. The rifle did come with a nice brownish cotton sling. Well used not new.

Some crates had new greenish slings , new unissued ammo pouches, and matching bayonets, but the tool kits varied in color and style. At the time most were Izzy and round receivers. I only liked Tulas because I collected them by year.

So to the op, gunbb, is that rifle a Tula?
Is the import mark PW and on the barrel?

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Serial numbers were likely matched during refurb. I've seen both stamped and electropenciled numbers. Some are nicer than others. Seems some had lined out serial numbers with re-stamped "matching" numbers, some numbers were ground off and re-stamped, and some were lined out and electropenciled/etched. I would strongly lean towards yours being ground off and re-numbered. The fonts on the bolt and bayonet do match, and they don't match the font on the barrel.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,818 Posts
Yep, it's a refurb that still has its refurb matched bayonet. Bayonets with refurb stamped matched numbers aren't really uncommon, but a lot of them did get separated from the matched rifle after import, as a lof of importers/retailers were too lazy to bother keeping them together.

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked up my sniper rifle, it was 2010 Jan - Gander Mt and they had "PW Arms Richmond WA" import marks on the barrel. With tax it was $200. That is when the store around the block F&F had Mosins for $99, but no decommissioned snipers.

I assume the normal 91/30s at Gander with matching bayonets at $160 also had a similar mark? My book notes indicate my sniper rifle did not have a garbage package nor bayonet- just the rifle. I was there when the store guy was taking the rifles out of the box and putting them on the rack. I got the best of the batch- a lucky day. Back at that time I was Tula"hex" nuts. I gave a squat about a bayonet- they were a dime a dozen- like tent pegs. The rifle did come with a nice brownish cotton sling. Well used not new.

Some crates had new greenish slings , new unissued ammo pouches, and matching bayonets, but the tool kits varied in color and style. At the time most were Izzy and round receivers. I only liked Tulas because I collected them by year.

So to the op, gunbb, is that rifle a Tula?
Is the import mark PW and on the barrel?
Here's a picture of the importer .

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tons of these were stamped to match. I have a dozen or so. Nothing to see here.
Well your "Tons" haven't been seen by me and I've been at this for 50 +years. I certainly have seen "Tons" of 91-30's with and without bayonets and none were matching. You must live where "Tons" are common !!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Most if not all the crates I've seen opened had refurb matched bayonets inside. It was the retailers that seemed to get them mixed up. In fact some sold the bayonets seperate and made no effort to match them up first.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Gary Cole is the only person I ever knew who actually imported a couple of crates of original matching rifles with their original matching bayonets. I had ten of them at one time, all ‘43-‘44 Izhevsk rifles. I sold all of them to members on this forum. They were all museum quality rifles, likely unfired.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Original matching and unfired '43 or '44 Mosins?? Couple of crates?? Those two years were relatively quiet and uneventful for the USSR, no need for rifles, just put them in the storage, Comrade.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Gary Cole is the only person I ever knew who actually imported a couple of crates of original matching rifles with their original matching bayonets. I had ten of them at one time, all ‘43-‘44 Izhevsk rifles. I sold all of them to members on this forum. They were all museum quality rifles, likely unfired.
I have one of Gary's original matching light refurbs myself. Found it on the used rack of a big box outdoors store a few years ago. It's a 1943 Izhevsk.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts