Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am looking at what seems to be an all matching 1918 SSA No. I Mark III* in excellent condition, which is the subject of a different post. I need some help with this stock disk - does anyone recognize it? I can't find a unit with these initials. I I think it must be an auxiliary unit, or maybe the owner's initials after replacing the original unit disk? A friend suggested this rifle found its way to Canada, nd the font on the disk does look like some photos I have seen of unit disks on Canadian SMLEs.
I am thinking of buying this one, so all help would be appreciated.
thanks, Jim
Wood Plant Wood stain Varnish Hardwood

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
I think it’s directly related to the barrel marking, which we need to see more of.

I saw in your other thread it wouldn’t be til Saturday, I’m just waiting. ;)

·
Banned
143 Posts
Here's a W.A.G.: could it have something to do with Alfred J Parker? A.G. Parker's son Alfred J. Parker started working at his father's business sometime prior to 1910 and by 1928, Alfred had left to set up his own company; Alfred J. Parker & Co. Ltd.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Tough to say. A while back someone was offering replacement discs if for only to fill the empty hole in the stock. Blank or marked to your choice.
Looks as though that screw can be backed out with no damage done.
If it’s a standard screw with a gimlet point, it’s a repro.
The originals are distinct. Very thin slot. What I would call a disparity akin to having a #8 head on a #10 shank with a blunt tip.

BSA or SSA? Not all peddled scheme rifles were assembled at BSA. We can figure that out when you get it.

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
The stylised “B” is a BSA inspection stamp.

What we really need to see is the barrel markings under the rear handguard, since the barrel has the same “AJ” marking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts