Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We don't usually run across a model were clueless with; here's what we do know.

It's a russian 1917, hex-receiver, possibly a carbine.
It's shorter than an m38 by about an inch.
M91 sights, with even patina including crown.

Hope the pictures help. I need to get clearer pictures of the stampings, but when I do, they'll get slapped up here a.s.a.p.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. =D
I'm honestly just trying to figure out what we have here. LoL

Many thanks.

--------------------------------

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Maybe some resemblence to an Ulaani carbine, but I'm not sure. Is the front sight base that of a Japanese Type 30?

·
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry to be misleading, my son posted this for my friend, who is like myself a Finnish/Russian firearms collector, however we are both fairly young and new to it and we do not know what this is and are looking for some help in identifying it.

Again though thanks for your help, hope its not a "BUBBA" I am waiting on him to answer your questions thanks, Bill.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
What are the graduations on the rear sight? Do they appear re-marked?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
I also suspect Bubba, but a less vicious one than we normally see.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,446 Posts
I'm just guessing, but if it was done at an arsenal, that rear sight would be scrubbed of it's original graduations if not completely replaced with a carbine sight of some sort. Just guessing though.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm gonna have to echo the bubba suspicion unless more pics demonstrate otherwise... Do a forum search (and Google search) for Ulanni to see other threads about them. By all means, post more pics... BeSwift

·
Registered
211 Posts
What does the crown look like ? Have you had the wood off ? Is it SA stamped ? Are there any marks on the barell or action under the wood ? Is the stock stamped at all ? Does the stock appear altered?

·
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The three answers that I have for you right now to your questions are that it has a very faint stock cartouche looks like the quarter sized circle with the CCCP in it, the crown looks unaltered and it has no Finnish markings, as I'm told.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
The three answers that I have for you right now to your questions are that it has a very faint stock cartouche looks like the quarter sized circle with the CCCP in it, the crown looks unaltered and it has no Finnish markings, as I'm told.
The rear sight markings are also of interest, as mentioned above.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
I think I saw the same gun at at Motley's auction in Richmond Va., maybe about a year ago. The barrel shank date was the same, front sight was the same, length looks about the same.

I was bidding against another person on this gun (if it is the one I remember) and it was not import marked, not Finn marked, and the modifications looked like they were old enough to be pre WW2.

The barrel had been turned down slightly to allow the front sight base to be installed, but the general finish of the metal was consistent, which indicates the work was done a long time ago. It looked to be arsenal quality work.

What bothered me most about the gun was the fact that the rear sight graduations had not been altered in any way, so the sight graduations would have been off a mile in reality. That was the reason I stopped bidding at the point I did.

My opinion, probably some type of Balkan modification, to help eliminate significant wear from the muzzle, and to provide a handy carbine configuration. Neat gun but nothing I have seen anywhere else.

regards
badger

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
front sight looks more like a steyr m1895 to me. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Definitely not an M95 front sight.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Here's what I'm seeing:

Stock is original Russian

Nosecap was lifted from a 91/30 or a carbine

Nose of the stock was cut/sanded to the point that the nose cap would fit on

Front site is unlike anything I've ever seen before (never seen a collar like that on a front sight), though the blade might be Finnish?

I can't say it's a carbine variation I've ever even heard of before, but it's definitely interesting... My vote is about a 70% chance of well done bubba-ing 15% chance of some kind of Balkan modification 10% chance of importer making it more interesting and 5% ???.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,521 Posts
Not sure how others feel, but I would not consider a Balkan armory modification to be a "Euro-Bubba" any more than an Israeli K98 in 7.62 is. I see both, and others with similar pedigrees, to be legitimate variations worthy of study and collection.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts