Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the above example thinking the 1914 date was somewhat unusual. I haven't run across too many 1914 dated 98/05's. So this is another question concerning the accuracy of Carter's, Vol. 1 chart on page 89. His chart shows NO production of any aA Sawbacks being produced in 1914, only aA Plain blade versions. So, this appears similar to my earlier posting regarding the 1918 dated nA Sawback by Waffenfabrik Mauser, A.G., which more-or-less was determined to be a scarce production date by Carter's book.

I am curious to learn if any collector's out there have a 1914 dated sawback made by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum, & Cie, Solingen (4-Line Tradmark). Thank you for your comments and input! Black Sleeve Red Magenta Wood
Plant Flag Font Material property Wood

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I assume Carter only used some small researches so certainly not get all variation that were produced, question by similar research how many pieces were counted in comparation of some million S98/05 bayonets produced in war.
In Voronov books are normal sawbacks with 1915,16,17 dates with 4 row WKC logo, there is pictured 14 date with plain blade, but WKC evidently made all versions of S98/05aA and S98/05nA. Voronov confirms 1913 and 1915 as S98/05aAS produced so why not 1914?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided to include copies of Carter's information on this topic. Who's to say who is right or wrong. However, I tend to favor Carter's reference on both the 1918 Waffenfabrik, Mauser A.G. sawback and Weyersberg 1914 sawback. We haven't had any feedback concerning the manufacturers and dates in question, so perhaps Carter is correct. Font Publication Material property Paper Circle
Font Parallel Pattern Number Rectangle

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Thats probably a wrong choice,Carter are unfortunally a old publication,with some ammounts of error already confirmed by researches done in last 3 decades.the listing of variations and dates was realised on a small bunch,so in reality the production was much higher and when produced S98/05 without sawback,is clear they produced even sawback versions too,which is only by 6-10% frequentant to compare of non sawbacks.and with Mauser its different story.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats probably a wrong choice,Carter are unfortunally a old publication,with some ammounts of error already confirmed by researches done in last 3 decades.the listing of variations and dates was realised on a small bunch,so in reality the production was much higher and when produced S98/05 without sawback,is clear they produced even sawback versions too,which is only by 6-10% frequentant to compare of non sawbacks.and with Mauser its different story.
Carter's reference was published 1984. When was Noronov's book out? Thanks Andy!

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
The Voronovs used total copy of Carter as a basic of their books, only difference are the tables, where when a unknown variation was found there was a added a red point, same as they brought much more bayonets together with excellent photos, so the Voronov book is a new reprint of Carter only minor changed, published in Russia 2015.Unfortunally there were copied evidently with old errors.
One of it is Cito or Cito Coln declared by Carter as a brand of E.Pack und Sohne,Solingen, this firma E.Pack never made S98/05 bayonets, and Cito is well known bicycle maker of town Koln, which produced small period a weak condition S98/05 bayonets.
The WKC has there identical table, only extended with 15 dated nAS version,so when they made 1913 and 1915 S98/05aAS why not in 1914, as here is presented Your sample which is so dated.It was only not reffered thats all.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Broadly speaking, what Andy B writes is quite right. Carter saw probably thousands of bayonets of all periods, but naturally would not see every variation that was out there. Like the Waffenfabrilk 98/05 a.A. for example, of which one at least ceratinly exists.

On which note, for Waffenfabrik 09/05 lovers, you might want to check out this article, published last week. Oh, and if anyone has contact with John Speed, I'd love to send a copy to him.

Julian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.