Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
The markings mean that the rifle is a refurbed 1932 Tula. Could be an ex-dragoon, or could have been a 91/30 from the get-go. You can determine more on that by looking at the base of the rear sight.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
I dont see a clear mark on the sites
It's not a marking, but a fit condition.

Dragoons were the same length as 91/30s, so once they are refurbed to the later standard, if it's a rifle made in the years when both dragoons and 91/30s were being produced, there's not a whole lot of ways to tell in which configuration it was originally built. Your rifle was made at Tula in 1932, and it's generally believed that they produced both types that year.

About the only way to tell in that case is that an ex-dragoon will have a gap between the sight base and the barrel at the rear (dragoons were an earlier variant and used a different sight, and when a 91/30 sight base was fitted at refurb it left a gap).

See this thread:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...31-owners-check-in-too!)&highlight=ex-dragoon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant get the picture to upload but on the top buttons to the site where you drop down the gauge there is a star on one side and an arrow or triangle on the other button is an ex draggoon the same size as a 91/30?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
I cant get the picture to upload but on the top buttons to the site where you drop down the gauge there is a star on one side and an arrow or triangle on the other button is an ex draggoon the same size as a 91/30?
It will have a 91/30 base now, regardless. The gap discussed in the link is the only way to tell.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,551 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks similar to the Ludw. Loewe mark of the Star of David with an L inside. Loewe was Jewish as far as I know and would have used that symbol until around 1936 when the company changed name.
Maybe wrong but that's my take on it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What? That is arsenal mark of the Tula Arsenal.
Looks similar to the Ludw. Loewe mark of the Star of David with an L inside. Loewe was Jewish as far as I know and would have used that symbol until around 1936 when the company changed name.
Maybe wrong but that's my take on it.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
As said, that is the star of the Tula Arsenal in Tula, founded by Peter the Great.
The Star of David, the "Jewish Star" has six points.

A 1932 Tula almost certainly saw action in multiple wars, so not too many survive.

This one was refurbished (buffed up and reblued, parts replaced after taking it apart, restocked) after the Great Patriotic War where it probably fought against the Nazis and their pals. It also could have fought the Japanese before that under General Zhukov or been off to the Winter War to take on the Finns or done duty on thousands of miles of remote borders. The history of these rifles is a great part of their value to many of us.

Welcome aboard -now start clearing out your closets and getting ready for a life of Mosin-induced poverty.

What? That is arsenal mark of the Tula Arsenal.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
As said, that is the star of the Tula Arsenal in Tula, founded by Peter the Great.
The Star of David, the "Jewish Star" has six points.

A 1932 Tula almost certainly saw action in multiple wars, so not too many survive.

This one was refurbished (buffed up and reblued, parts replaced after taking it apart, restocked) after the Great Patriotic War where it probably fought against the Nazis and their pals. It also could have fought the Japanese before that under General Zhukov or been off to the Winter War to take on the Finns or done duty on thousands of miles of remote borders. The history of these rifles is a great part of their value to many of us.

Welcome aboard -now start clearing out your closets and getting ready for a life of Mosin-induced poverty.
And stay away from the Finns, they seem to multiply pretty fast. (Don't mind that Swede in the corner, he's just visiting)

The closets fill up fast, I'm needing another safe... This overflow is making a mess since I have to pile my clothes on the floor now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts