Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a Ruger Vaquero made in 1993 it is marked .45 ,Ruger says they came in .45 LC in that year so research says they are the same cartridge. My reloading manual does not have .45 LC but ammo is available in that caliber so are they or are they not the same cartridge and no I have not bought any ammo yet

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Same thing... would caution you though, it is possible to load 45 Colt pretty hot and blow up some of the older/weaker designed guns. Your Ruger probably would laugh at anything you put in it but I was advised to stick with cowboy loads in my Judge (for example.) I only shoot my reloads in it but I remember from years ago that there was some pretty "hot" factory ammo available in that caliber.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
If you are going to set up to reload this caliber, I prefer Hornady dies. They burnish the cases nicely. Any of the die sets on the market today are fine. I use all of them for different calibers. Large pistol primers are out there. They will make a large dent in your wallet. Check the on line auctions. They usually have primers. Be prepared to pay the price. I have a Ruger Bisley. Great shooting pistol. Good luck with yours.

· Registered
6,082 Posts
Yes, the .45 Colt, .45LC are the same. I like to shoot the .45 S&W (short) in my .45 revolvers for the mild recoil and accuracy. I have an older Ruger Stainless Steel Bisley in .45 Colt and a Marlin model '94 in .45 Colt that I would depend upon for survival if times get tough. They could both take a fairly warm load, enough to bring down a large deer or elk if required. I really believe the .45 Colt is one of the best survival and defensive rounds available. Besides they are very easy to reload, mild or hot.

· Registered
96 Posts
Shran, You're right about hot loads in a Judge. I didn't notice a friend help himself to some hot 45LC loads I was putting through my Ruger. The Judge didn't blow up, but he did when it just about jumped out of his hand. He proof tested that Judge & learned a lesson.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
So, my old Colt SAA made in 1883 takes the same, .45 LC or .45 Colt, Blackpowder? I have a bunch of brass and bullets and blackpowder but have not loaded for this yet. I would load down a good bit, I'm sure. Haven't even checked which black powder to use. Can I use the same stuff used in muzzle loaders? F, FF and/or FFF? Thanks.

· Registered
4,412 Posts
If you dont mind spending a lot of money on dies, or a die, I have recently discovered the Redding Precision seating die. For some inexplicable reason I have struggled to get bullets seated straigh (ie parallel, no run out) in straigh wall cases. The Hornady Dimension got me much closer much easier. The Redding was a night and day difference. I dont have any use for the micrometer adjustment on top. Dont let that fancy feature fool you into thinking these dies are only for bench rest.

Reading and H Dimension use an internal sliding piston. I recommend you get what ever die set you like to work with. Or start with Hornady Dimension. Then consider the purchase the Reading Precision seating die.

You can eye ball the ammo if you look really close. By eye, it should be perfect. If you get into it, Hornady has a setup to measure bullet runout. I can see the improved performance shooting revolver ammo. The Vaquare might not be for that type of shooting? I m loading for Ruger Blackhawk.

· Copper Bullet member
832 Posts
As has been noted, ".45 Long Colt" is a misnomer. The technically correct name is just ".45 Colt". Historically though, it has been known as the .45 long Colt for over a century, I think to differentiate it from the shorter .45 Schofield, and the compromise round- the .45 Colt Govt.

As to the Ruger Vaquero, it would either be .45 acp (unlikely - it would say acp), or .45 Colt (LC, Long Colt, whatever you want to call it).

So, my old Colt SAA made in 1883 takes the same, .45 LC or .45 Colt, Blackpowder? I have a bunch of brass and bullets and blackpowder but have not loaded for this yet. I would load down a good bit, I'm sure. Haven't even checked which black powder to use. Can I use the same stuff used in muzzle loaders? F, FF and/or FFF? Thanks.
Just a word of caution on black powder: be sure you study up well before loading any. Maybe you know already, but you can't "download" with black powder the same way you can with smokeless, because you have to have compression on the powder, no air space in the case or you risk damage to the chamber. I believe you can use filler compressed over the powder to download.

So I've been told anyhow. I'm not an expert on black powder cartridge, only done it a few times.

· Registered
71 Posts
Just a word of caution on black powder: be sure you study up well before loading any. Maybe you know already, but you can't "download" with black powder the same way you can with smokeless, because you have to have compression on the powder, no air space in the case or you risk damage to the chamber. I believe you can use filler compressed over the powder to download.

So I've been told anyhow. I'm not an expert on black powder cartridge, only done it a few times.

I shot BP cartridge for years in Cowboy Action, and yes, NO AIR SPACE!
I made both fullhouse loads (using bullet to compress powder about1/8") and reduced loads. To fill the airspace on the reduced loads, I used grits (uncooked, btw), some folks used cream of wheat. You can't overcharge a BP round but like Fatelk stated above, you can UNDER load.
I used Goex 2F.

· Copper Bullet member
832 Posts
There is no such thing as a ‘Long Colt’ .45….it’s a Colt .45, period
Technically correct, of course. It's never officially been a "45 Long Colt", but people have been calling it that off and on for over a century. We purists can complain all we want, but people are still going to call it what they want to call it. Personally it doesn't bother me even though I know it's a misnomer. :)

· Registered
3,607 Posts
I am with Fatelk on this one, it's a minor annoyance that one must grin and bear with.
Similar to those who call loaded ammo "bullets" and projectiles "heads", there are other examples but, thankfully, those who visit here and stay accept the corrections and adjust.

As far as the .45 Colt (.45 Long Colt) and .45 Schofield (.45 Short, not really but...... ), it is my understanding that in their original iterations there were differences in rim diameter and thickness, in addition to the length, that made cross use problematical.
A big supply problem for the army, at the time, that was solved by purging the system of any pistol that did not use the .45 Colt.
In this day and age, unless you own originals (and if you do you should probably already know what ammo it needs!), almost all replicas are chambered in the .45 Colt (at least in some iteration).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts