Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,267 Posts
It's definitely an M95 Mannlicher bolt as Prez1981 has already stated but I personally can't tell from your pic if it's an original 8x50r/8x56r bold or a Austrian 8mm 95/24 or Yugo 8mm conversion. Can't see the face or the other side of the bolt head in your pic to be certain but the cutout in the extractor looks to be the shape of the original 8x50 and 8x56's. Here is a scan from page 104 of Paul Scarlata's book that should allow an ID.

· Gold Bullet member
4,425 Posts
Yeah, I didn't notice that at first, but that does look like it might be a M95M bolt. Big bucks if it is, they're super-scarce and the extractor alone is something people would trade children for.

The right side lug should be smaller than the left, if I remember right, for it to be a M bolt. Or at least, one lug noticeably smaller than the other side.

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
can't tell from your pic if it's an original 8x50r/8x56r bolt or a Austrian 8mm 95/24
M.95/24 is also Yugoslavian conversion, identical to M.95M.

· Registered
954 Posts
You can tell from one of the ribs being milled off the rear of the bolt body and the two vent holes added at the front of the bolt body. Now, as far as the internal rotating bolt and the extractor go, you may be right that they are M95 parts, as they don't look like M95M components. Do you need any M95M bolt? I have a couple extras in my parts drawer.

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
Boltz, boltz, boltz: M.95 (top & right) vs. M.95M (bottom & left)

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
M.95M vs. M.95/24 - ain't no difference:

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
First from top - M.95M with recycled M.95 stock.
Second - M.95M with newly made stock.
Third - M.95/24 with newly made stock.
Fourth - Mauser M.24 to which the modifiers "24" in 95/24 and "M" in the M.95M refer.

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
...as far as the internal rotating bolt and the extractor go, you may be right that they are M95 parts, as they don't look like M95M components.
They are not, that's why I am showing the pictures above.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I had no idea the Yugoslav's did the M95/24 as well. I was merely going by what is printed in the only Mannlicher resource I own, yes I know the book has errors, that they were Steyr conversions done in the 1920's. The only other info I've ever read on them is in Branko Bogdanovic Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser book. He only mentions the model designation of M95M. Thus like most people I accepted what was printed that the 95/24's were done in Austria post World War I.

If the Yugo's made both models is it known why two different model designations for the same carbine was used? Different time periods for conversion? Branko states in his book that the contract was offered for bids in 1933 but it wasn't awarded until 1938 to FOMU for 30,000 to be converted. I'm not doubting you that they are Yugoslav. I'm just looking for more information on them is all.

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
He only mentions the model designation of M95M.
He does mention 95/24, you must have missed it. He uses both names interchangeably.

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we go with 95M bolt?

How about these?

· Administrator
12,404 Posts

· Registered
1,267 Posts
He does mention 95/24, you must have missed it. He uses both names interchangeably.
I did notice in some paragraphs he uses them interchangeably but in others I get the impression that they were not. Maybe it's just the way I interpreted it. I'll have to go back and read through that section again. Knowing how I over analyze stuff I'll probably interpret it different each time I read it.

· Administrator
12,404 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.