Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup you guesssed it. I own 12 old military rifles and last week I bought my first Enfield. Today was the first day I took it out to fire it and all I can say is WOW! the Enfield is a bad A** rifle!

·
Silver Bullet member
737 Posts
In my opinion the SKS is the best long arm ever issued. Reliable, adequate power, range, accuracy, light weight, fixed magazine and semi auto only. Every shot is aimed fire. Still issued today. gary

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like SKS & Mosin Nagant and own several but my all time favourite is the Lee Enfield #4/Mk1!! I just finished today restoring a 1943 Maltby to original military specs. I own 3 of them and use my Parker Hale converted rifle for hunting deer, moose and elk. Tough to top the Lee Enfield as far as military rifles is concerned!

·
Registered
20,630 Posts
Funny, never see a SKS on the 600 yard line when I am there with my No.4Mk1*, guess all those SKS guys are up at the 1000 yd line ? I will go over there and see how they are doing.

There are a lot of decent infantry rifles and the SKS is one of them. There is a tier of seriously deadly infantry weapons that have range and knock down power, the Enfield is in this heavy weight class and has a very long record of dropping men flat at 100 to 1000 yds with aimed fire.

We can all have preferences but history speaks volumes of how the Enfield dominated battlefields. Historical fact.. just the way it is.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,361 Posts
I think it might be better to say what is great about the Enfield. One of the best aspects of the Enfield is the action. The bolt action on Mausers and the rifles based on them cannot be operated as quickly or easily as the Enfield. In fact, I can easily work the action of an Enfield with out bringing the gun off of my shoulder. I cannot do that with a Mauser. This makes for a much faster re-acquisition of the sight picture.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup still has that new car smell. The last owner of 25 years removed it from the wrapping and never fired it. On Fri. I clean all the Cosmo line off/out and took her for a test drive today. I am a bit embarrassed to say what I paid for her.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'd pay huge for a rifle like that, no matter what the cost was, congratulations are in order man!!! I'd buy one just like that in a heartbeat!!! I can only imagine what the parts and barrel look like, brand-bloody-new!! Care to share how much you paid> You don't have to answer, that is okay, I respect your privacy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mcgintys got it.

The Lee Enfield is the Boss. Still the fastest bolt action rifle in the world today. No bolt action Mauser can keep up with it thats for sure.
To think the Brits where developing their own Mausers after the Boer war but luckily for later soldiers WW1 came to soon.
I guess they blamed their rifles instead of the bad leadership for the soldiers they lost. It was hard for a Boer in the rocks to miss a red coat with a big white aiming cross on their chest all lined up in a row. Yep had to be the mauser was better. Ask the Germans who faced them in WW1 what they think of the Lee's.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,915 Posts
I have a lot of Mil surp rifles and I like shooting the Enfields but I don't see how you figgure the Lee Enfield is faster than the K31 Swiss which utilizes two motions instead of four and keeps the rifle on a level plain to function. My Dad landed at Utah Beach and fought all the way through to the Bulge and is very complimentary of the Enfields knock down power and accuracy. when I asked him if he would have traded his Garrand for an Enfield he just smiled and said "No, Oh no"

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.