Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of Mosin collector philosophy - In an interesting recent post in which one member said he didn't want Nazi items around, another member said he thinks that as an inanimate object, a rifle can have no ideology, no feelings associated with it. That seems readily apparent to my rational mind, but I think I fall on the other side a bit as collecting too many Mosins is certainly not entirely rational. That got me thinking about the "my rifle speaks to me" mindset that I and many collectors I know certainly have about a few guns I really like to hold and look at, ones that seem to my perhaps overly impressionable imagination to have a kind of energy or feeling very different than the rest. These are non-refurb battle condition Mosins, not the pretiiest by far, but a few are somehow "special" in the collection for no really definable reason -not the rarest, not the most valuable.

Not to sound too hippie "ooga-booga", but I'm sort of of the belief that maybe there is a "vibe" to an object held important by somebody or used for some important purpose, a sniper rifle held by a soldier at Stalingrad, a sword from the Polish Hussars, a ring from a dead Nazi's finger, a long-dead hunter's rifle from his time in Africa, a damascened Arab sword from a hundred desert battles, the revolver my dad carried for many, many years, the Moro kris my great uncle shot an attacking warrior for. The Japanese believed in the "soul" of their better samurai swords that could be felt by those holding it and I certainly know enough Mosin collectors who think some rifles "speak to them," a belief even more common with sword collectors. It has been said by museums that relics and artifacts are the "storehouse of memories" for future generations. Are they?
The collectors of SS Nazi relics sure think there is some mystic value to certain pieces -why else would somebody pay $15,000 for an SS deathshead ring given to an SS officer by Himmler and buried since the battle for Kiev in a ditch with the dead guy's bones? Bad juju in my book, but the money changes hands big time for these totenkopf rings.
I can't say that I have any lost souls hanging around my rifles, but when I put the Leningrad "blokadnik" in the hand of a modestly "psychic" individual she recoiled in horror and said it came from a very dark and terrible place, an odd reaction she never got with anything else I have showed, including some serious weapons.
Who knows? Is there a residual "feeling" to certain artifacts? Do they really carry some sort of memories of battles long ago or have I just been hanging out in California a bit too long? I hung out as a child in a few deserted museums with my archaeologist father and there sure seemed some creepy objects then. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I personally believe that objects all around us absorb

various levels of ' energy ' that human beings produce .

The level of this manifestation is dependant upon the

situation the person is in at this time . Extreme stress

and / or pain would emanate strong emotional energy .

It is thought that some people or animals can detect

this effect according to their individual sensitivity . Since

war institutes every imaginable type of emotion , then why

wouldn't a weapon of war absorb a modecum of this ? So

when one has a feeling about that particular object , it is the

emotional intensity imbued by the experience of the person

who lived that situation or situations and ones ability to ' feel '

it allows it to radio that . This is simply my personal opinion .

FIVESHOT

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Yes. The "vibe" of owning an artefact from a particularly horrendous epoch or regime in human history dissuaded me for a very long time from owning anything from the so-called Third Reich and the Soviet Union either. I wanted a couple representative U.S. military small-arms and maybe a few representations of enemy weapons from WWII and Korea and maybe even Vietnam. For a very long time I was down to just my Garand, a pair of Chi-com SKSs [mala onda!] and a Finn M91. Only much, much later did I acquire Soviet stuff, and while in comparison to a good many collectors and members of this forum I only have a few representations, I certainly own far more than I ever initially thought I would. It really is a disease.

Yes, every now and then I do get creeped out by things I suspect are "being spoken" to me by these historical artefacts. The same thing happens in archives, lemme tell ya. I have met collectors who prize things I just simply would never care to own myself. I'm from the "left coast" and so probably quite a bit of what I think and write is a bit "woo-woo." For example, I dispute that the technology of service rifles used by totalitarian states is somehow "neutral." YMMV.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fiveshot I completely agree with you. My great Grandfather,when he was alive,had a P08 luger he brought back from his time in Europe during ww2. Every time I would shoot it I would get a headache and get sick and violently to my stomach,enough so that I would have to leave the range when we where shooing. Later when he died my P.O.S uncle sold it for the funding for his new camero. When he had it appraised he found the bring back papers and we found out that it was from Buchenwald. We knew my Grandfather was near Weimar during that time but he never told us he was there during the liberation. He always said he did not want to talk about his time in Germany. Items that have been around tragic events, ESPECIALLY war weapons,can pick up "bad energy".

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
12,058 Posts
Yes! Just like some Civil War battlefields speak to me and others are just fields and woods...doesn't seem related to how many were engaged or died...some just have a feeling more than others.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,176 Posts
Not again...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I don't believe in such things too much. Of course, when you hand a "psychic" an old battle worn bayonet they will take the opportunity to exclaim horrors!;)

Seriously now, I did once have a M38 that my dog wouldn't go near. This dog is by my side all day long... I would take out that particular rifle and he would disappear and not come back until it was put away. He could not care less about every other firearm in my collection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow third or fourth post, I know so much...not. I just purchased two Mosin Nagants -- one a sano 1944, clean as a whistle, the other a 1939 that looks like it had been dug out of the weeds in Stalingrad. The beater really spoke to me.

I have dealt in vintage and used guitars since 1963. I can tell you some guitars are WAY more soulful than others. I've played vintage Martins that felt awful in my hands and others that looked almost the same that felt like old friends. I have no doubt that guns are the same way. I'll play "White Line Fever" on the D-18 tonight and "you kids get off my lawn" with the '39 this weekend... or something like that. Jeez, I love this place, anyone got a hex for sale?

T quinn
Sacramento

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,526 Posts
I have a m39 that I nearly always shoot in matches. I have sever others, but I have this one. It looked brand new when I got it. Any "history" had been done away with by the Finns at refurb. The vibe I get is one of confidence as "we" have been in many matches together. When we score low, I know it is me that has had a poor day. The rifle has, and will, be a better shooter than myself. So, it is my buddy.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,250 Posts
I personally don't believe in "vibes" being attached to inanimate objects, at least beyond the viewer's perception of what the object represents, who created it, where it's been, and for what it's been used. And I hope I'm right about that, because if I'm not, we milsurp collectors are piling up some serious bad energy. I mean, has it ever occurred to you to wonder how many people the rifles in your gun safe have been used to kill during their prior life? A morbid thought, but inescapable.

And by the way, I also don't see them as "Communist", "Nazi", or whatever. They're mementos of history, unculpable for their creators' and users' actions, whether good or evil. Mine plot nothing more violent or oppressive than making holes in pieces of paper.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,814 Posts
Lmao @ "put in hands of a psycic"
Sounds like someones fishing. Of course she would feel something.. Its their job to stir BS. Put a freshly purchased gerber knfe from walmart in her hands and tell her it was found at a triple homicide scene im sure she would have a story for that to.

Do I get vibes? Mostly pride.
I hold a russian sniper rifle in my hands and know that some highly trained man or woman once killed an axis soldier or spent some terrible moments with rifle.
I pick up a k98 and I a similar feeling of holding something one of the greatest soldiers in history held.

Sometimes I get good and bad vibes from rifles I know have a story.
I mostly swell with pride(i know tht sounds gay) holding something that out ancesors once changed the world with.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Can't say I have ever gotten vibes off of a firearm.Pride in holding a piece of history, sure.Curiosity about where this gun been and what has it done,all the time.Nothing more though.To me they are inanimate,and sadly silent pieces of history.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,559 Posts
I don't believe in such things too much. Of course, when you hand a "psychic" an old battle worn bayonet they will take the opportunity to exclaim horrors!;)

Seriously now, I did once have a M38 that my dog wouldn't go near. This dog is by my side all day long... I would take out that particular rifle and he would disappear and not come back until it was put away. He could not care less about every other firearm in my collection.
Maybe he's afraid of the giant fireball!! ;)

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Listen and you will hear......

Look and you will see......

Touch and you will feel.....

Most folks believe what they can see, touch, hear and experience.

We know many things, but there are more things out there that we don't know.

Out of my humble collection I had but one rifle that gave me a weird feeling & It spooked me enough to sell it off. ;)

I am a believer.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Mine are always saying "Why dont you take me out more?" and "You dont love me as much as the others".

Or that could be just the woman.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.