Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
All calls either have to be from non-profits or from companies you've had a commercial relationship with. Supposedly. I got some at first but most have died off except for a few @#$%s.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,561 Posts
I've only gotten a few since I signed up, and those were from research firms. I told them I didn't want to be called, and they took my name off their lists.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
...Political calls are not blocked either, James. A big vexing irritant here at caterwauling time....which seems never to end now.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I really wish they'd included debt collectors in that listing. We'd get calls every two weeks for someone named Mercedes.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
61,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get calls for a woman about twice a week (for the last few months.)

I keep telling them to sue me if they have the balls to do so.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Call last night was:

caller: "Is this (jjk308)?"

me (grumpily): "Yes."

caller: "I'm with Blabcock and Phew, a national survey company and I'd like to have a few moments of your time to ask you some questions about makes of cars."

me: "How much are you paying to answer your survey?"

caller: "We dont pay..."

me: (click)

·
61,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless I recognize the voice I "never" take calls where the person has not identified themselves "before" asking for me. My standard response is that I do not take anonymous calls and then I hang up.

·
Silver Bullet member
29,740 Posts
The list worked fine until I bought my house from my mother. Even though it was strictly in-family, I kept getting calls and emails from mortgage companies wanting me to change my mortgage over.

My housemate also helped his sister buy a house in Florida, and for some reason they always call here, and never identify themselves on caller ID.

Does anyone remember the Verizon code for blocking private/anonymous CID calls?

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,455 Posts
I've got an old TeleZapper that really works. You can get the same effect by simply recording the tones preceding that "...the number you are calling has been disconnected or is no longer in service ..." record the tones onto your answering machine message. Calls from an automated dialer listen for the tones indicating a bad phone number, and they automatically delete 'bad' phone numbers from their database.

·
61,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also a lot of friends would get the same message. That might not be a bad idea.

·
Silver Bullet member
29,740 Posts
My sister used a TeleZapper until it broke.

BTW, some company invented technology to defeat TeleZapper.

I am about *this* close to deliberately screwing with telemarketers. Specifically, I want to ask them if ther mother knows they are a telemarketer, then reply "She must be really proud of you" and hang up.

·
61,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I would like to have is a cell phone blocker. So far have not seen ny for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts