Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Will try to post some pics today. Sadly, work gets in the way of addiction :)
One positive from Covid is I've been able to work from home a lot more and it allows me to browse gun forums and look for deals. I do get some work done :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here she is.

Interestingly, the bayonet has some marks that almost look like there was some kind on a slider there before (shown by arrows). It can't be type 1 as it has a groove there (at least on my antique)...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Interesting bayonet latch configuration. Looks like a modified first pattern. First time I've seen this type. Nice find!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting bayonet latch configuration. Looks like a modified first pattern. First time I've seen this type. Nice find!
It's one of the case when I said better on pictures first. Looks like they did convert type 1 to type 2 by putting a metal insert. Cool. No wonder the bayo is a bit wobbly.

Now I still need real type 2. Damn, I thought I was done with those Carcanos :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It's one of the case when I said better on pictures first. Looks like they did convert type 1 to type 2 by putting a metal insert. Cool. No wonder the bayo is a bit wobbly.

Now I still need real type 2. Damn, I thought I was done with those Carcanos :)
I almost ordered one hoping to get one like yours because I collect oddities in bayonet latches but with my luck I would just get a standard type 2 in fair condition.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,304 Posts
Noticed the screw to hold the bayonet into the mount is not a flat type typically used it a rounded head type of screw

Patrick

Reactions: Cz315

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I decided to order a proper type 2. I got one, it has a nice cartouche too. by now my luck ran out, though. Cracked stock. Not terrible, but I'm not too happy. To fix or not to fix, that is the question. What do you guys think? It's not like I'll be using it as a shooter, but it kind of bothers me. on the other hand I don't want to ruin whaterever little collector value it has...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So I decided to order a proper type 2. I got one, it has a nice cartouche too. by now my much ran out, though. Cracked stock. Not terrible, but I'm not too happy. To fix or not to fix, that is the question. What do you guys think? It's not like I'll be using it as a shooter, but it kind of bothers me. on the other hand I don't want to ruin whaterever little collector value it has...
View attachment 3817777 View attachment 3817778 View attachment 3817780 View attachment 3817781 View attachment 3817782

If the repair is done correctly, it won't hurt the value. This seems to be an issue with these guns. I have 2 with similar cracks. One was worse than yours but is solid after I repaired it. It's not a super hard repair to make. The crack will most likely still show after repair. Try clamping it shut to get an idea what it will look like. I can tell you how to repair it if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks! I'm thinking to use epoxy with some wood dusting, but I would very much appreciate learning more about your experiences and any Carcano specific tricks.
You're already on the right track with the epoxy and sanding dust. (Never use glue)Is it just one large crack that goes all the way through the wrist? If so the trickiest part will be dowling. You will need to get a long drill bit and drill into the crack from inside the stock. I'll see if I can find some pictures of that really bad one I did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll take a closer look tomorrow, but it didn't look like it goes through all the way. I was hoping not to use the dowel, unless I absolutely need to. It should make life easier.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Here are some pictures of mine. I had to drill a very deep hole to relieve the stress in the wood. It ended up closing up tight.
Now you just need to rub a little goat poop on it and no one will know the crack was ever there.

Seriously though, nice work.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts